1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Kickstand switch

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Faster, Jun 18, 2016.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The other facet of the safety circuit is the clutch switch, which will allow the bike to be started in gear, as long as the sidestand is up and (of course) the clutch pulled in. Which means you can easily restart the bike if you stall in traffic without having to find neutral first. To me, this as almost more valuable than the sidestand switch.

"NC" and "NO" depend on the definition of "normally." Is the stand normally up, or normally down? The switch is closed when the stand is up; it opens when you put the stand down. If it stays open, the bike will think the sidestand is always down.

k-moe, thanks for the reminder. Mine is moving in SLOW motion in the cool of the morning, apparently needs a flushing out. NOTE: Be careful of the little rubber boot. I'm pretty sure it's one of the few things Len cannot supply, and Yamaha has never listed separately.

Footnote: I'm personally a big fan of Yamaha's first-gen electrical (as opposed to electronic) "convenience" circuits. The safety circuit, when working properly, truly does prevent mishap. If you have even slightly large feet, you cannot easily SEE the sidestand from the saddle, your left foot is in the way. I love the self-cancelling turn signals too. The way the system knows the bike is in motion and/or how far it has traveled is pure primitive genius. (Reed switch in the mechanical speedo.)

cgutz and k-moe like this.
  2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Never doubt Len and his ability to find odd parts:

HCP19358 Aftermarket kickstand or sidestand safety switch RUBBER BELLOWS BOOT, perfectly replaces your ripped, torn or degraded original boot, keeping dirt/grit/fluids out of your switch. This tri-bellows boot Is retained by dual circlips at the end of the shaft. Fits all XJ550, FJ600, 1982-3 XJ650 Maxim, all XJ700, XJ750-X, and XJ1100 models.

HCP19359 Aftermarket kickstand or sidestand safety switch RUBBER BELLOWS BOOT, perfectly replaces your ripped, torn or degraded original boot, keeping dirt/grit/fluids out of your switch. This 8-bellows boot covers both the short switch plunger and most of the "extension rod" used on all XJ650RJ Seca, XJ650 Turbo, XJ650 Euro, XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Maxim, XJ750 Euro, and XJ900 models.

k-moe and Franz like this.
  3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

SWEET. I shoulda known (or looked) 8 years ago that wasn't the case. Thank you.

k-moe likes this.
  4. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

5. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I fully understand it's function, trust me lol I have road off with my CB's kickstand down a few times. Have myself broken of the habit now. And my switch works ok, what has me concerned is that the 40 year old part will go bad. And leave me stranded in the middle of a trip, so I would prefer to just remove it, before it becomes a nightmare one day.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

all you have to do to override it is disconnect the black/white wire at the tci it has a bullet connector about 3 inches from the plug.

k-moe likes this.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Pull the realy if that happens, or the wire that XJ550H mentioned.
    Then clean the switch. They are really very well protected from corrosion. "failure" is almost always due to the buildup of dirt on the plunger or a damaged wire.
    It's just a simple switch. I have switches from the 1910's that still work properly (though they are indoors).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Funny this thread was resurrected at this time. I just had to clean my side stand switch at noon today. About once every 10 years I have to do it.

It actually just "sticks" a little. Reaching down and pulling out the switch gets it working again. Cleaning just keeps it from sticking. At least that has been my experience.