1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 PILOT JET QUESTION

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mike james, Dec 23, 2020.

1. mike james

mike james New Member

I couldn't find the info I am looking for so I was wondering if anyone has installed larger pilot jets on their stock xj650, and if it made it start easier or eliminated a slight initial hesitation when accelerating.

I just bought an 82 xj650 maxim with the hitachi carbs, and it is completely stock with a new factory air filter. l cleaned the carbs so all the jets and circuits are clear, and the vacuum slides are good and working properly.

It takes a while to start with full choke, and once it is very warm, it won't start unless the choke is on around half way. Is this normal for this particular bike?

The idle mix screws are at their best setting which is 1 1/2 turns out, and the floats are 17.5.

I am at 1000 feet elevation with 60 degree temp.

I see that jets r us has pilot jets up to 43, so I was thinking of trying some 41's, to see if that helps. It currently has 40's

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Do you still have stock exhaust?
    Have you done throttle shaft seals?
    Is the little port in the bottom of the float bowl clear?
    Mixture should be 1 3/4-2 1/4 out

k-moe and Franz like this.
  3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

It should start without "choke" when warm, so the little jet in the bottom of the float chamber shouldn't matter. That's only when hot though, but it does sort of eliminate these as your issue.
    How did you arrive at the mix screw settings?
    Did you set your float levels accurately - wet set on the bike?

k-moe likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. Lanpoop

Lanpoop New Member

The previous owner of mine rejected them for Colorado. I believe they are either 41s or 43.... I think 41. But before you reject it clean the carbs. And I mean clean them until they are spotless. 9/10 problems with this bike are due to not properly cleaned carbs. Take everything out and you will find maybe just 1 hidden clogged jet but cleaning it will help. Also what that guy said ^ valves also make a huge difference. They are cheap ish and really improve the performance.

amiel1157 likes this.