1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Frame tab question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Fuller56, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I have noticed on some XJ frames that there is a tab/mounting point on the front of the steering head. Not all have it and I have not surveyed which ones do or do not. The brackets that are there have threaded bosses top and bottom as to be a mounting point for a frame mount fairing. The frame mounted factory fairings I have seen do not use it. Anybody have any more info on it? Seen this used?
    I am working on 750 Maxim that is getting an old Vetter Quicksilver fairing and I am using this bracket to stabilize the fairing. The Quicksilver mounts are not as stiff as the Windjammer mounts so it does bounce a bit.
    Just curious.
    John

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

750 seca drawing .is this circle what you are talking about
    750fram head.JPG

or this one on the 83 750 maxim and 83 750 Midnight maxim
    82 maxim 750 has a different setup
    750 max frame head.JPG

just looked at my 83 maxim an nothing is connected
    will look at the 82 max later I have to move some snow drawings shos something smaller but like seca or 83 max

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

i do not see any farings or windshields listed for Maxim750 in the XJ4ever catalog

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    It looks like the second illustration. The '82 Seca 650 had the same bracket but I think the Seca 750 did not. The 750 is not where I can get to it to look and confirm at the moment. I have seen another XJ that did not but don't remember which it was. I agree, I have not seen it used anywhere. The bike I am putting the fairing on and using it is an '83 Midnight 750.
    John

5. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

My '83 Maxim has the tab like the 2nd drawing...
    The Factory "Touring" fairing does not mount anywhere near there... it mounts to tabs on the frame down-tubes, below the stem.
    See pics below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]