1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Best way to wire in a running light

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jake750, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Jake750

Jake750 Member

86' yx600 Radian. Just picked up a fancy head light to replace the ugly square stock one. The new headlight has integrated turn signals along with running lights. The big bad Radian dosnt have running lights so no running light wire. What would be the best way to wire in a running light on the headlight? My plan A is to connect the running light wire to the low beam wire. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance, guys.

2. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

In alot of states- that is where it must be connected- to the low-beam circuit. You'll have to check your state law.
    I would not directly wire it there- I would have the low-beam wire trigger a relay instead.
    If you want a switch- I'd just mount a relay under the seat near the fuses- and use a circuit -triggered by the key- to trip the relay, then run power from the relay- through a switch, then out to the running lights.
    I added LED spot/running lights to my '83 like that...

[​IMG]

Jetfixer and Timbox like this.
  3. Jake750

Jake750 Member

So would it be okay to just wire it to the low beam?

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Have you ever wired up a relay? Using the low beam wire for a trigger to the relay would be best. Not adding more light (load) to the current low beam ckt would be best. Put in a fused hot wire to a relay, the trigger wire from the low beam ckt, new hot wire to the new lights.

k-moe likes this.
  5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that light is really close to your turn signal. if people ignore your signal, i could see why.
    drivers need all the help they can get and i fear your making your turn signal invisable

k-moe likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Agreed, even though the headlight shuts off (is supposed to anyway per USDOT) when the signal is on.
    The wider the triangle the more visible we are. I don't even notice the little tucked-in LED signals at all. No Bueno.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I agree that other people need to see those turn signals. Maybe getting some LED's strips that run vertically on the fairing? I can see how the running lights will bleach out the turn lights in your current setup.

8. k-moe

Oh...Y'all are discussing Baker6x6's setup.

I have my aux lights set in the same spot and have not had any trouble with people not seeing my signals. I don't use that set of aux lights in town at night though. They are for country riding (extra high-beam for daytime and for seeing deer).

Timbox likes this.
  9. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Ive never wired up a relay, but Ive done some small wiring projects before. I'm not too worried about the running lights making the turn signals less visible. The headlight I'm using has the running lights built in. The running light is just an LED halo around the headlight.

10. k-moe

That halo won't help with visibility.
    Brightness is only one factor in being visible. Percieved size makes a larger contribution.
    It will look cool though.

11. Jake750

Jake750 Member

That's my goal. I'm okay with sacrificing a little functionality for cool points.

So, uhh, would there be an issue, aside from visibility and functionality issues, with connecting the running light wire to the low beam wire? It's all LEDs so I dont think that load will be a problem.

12. k-moe

Old wires. Use a relay. Electrical fires are bad.

Franz likes this.
  13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

mount those lights down on the crash guards. many of those style ights are made for off road use only . that alone can get a ticket from an overzelous traffic cop

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Cool is good, being seen and staying alive on the road is better :)

XJ550H likes this.
  15. Jake750

Jake750 Member

This is the headlight I used. The running light and turn signals are integrated. It says its DOT SAE although I kind of doubt it. Yea so I'm not mounting aux lights or anything. I ended up soldering the running light wire to the low beam wire. Seems to be working fine. And its a hell of a lot brighter than the stock halogen square headlight.

[​IMG]