1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650RJ Brake MC Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Andius, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Andius

Andius Member

Hey all. I've recently replaced the brake lines at the front, so thought it wise to travel the last hundred centimeters and rebuild the MC. I bought a kit (brakecrafters), but I'm predictably running into issues simply disassembling.. After tearing the boot out piece by piece, the C-clip is the next hurdle. I've doused it in penetrating oil, and ground a bit down the ends on the cheap clip tool I bought, but the pegs are still too large to reliably fit into the brand new clip. I'm not a fan of this tool (probably the first ~$10 result on amazon).. Any recommendations on a good tool for this operation?
    BrakeMC01.jpg

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Len @chacal sells the exact tool for that. I cheaped out and didn’t buy one until my third MC rebuild but it works amazing. Clip out in seconds.

k-moe likes this.
  3. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

get a metal scriber, like this one, and use it in the circlip holes progresively prising the clip in and out , on both sides to free it up. before using the circlip tool. also push the plunger in whilst dooing this to let the tool points go further through the clip holes
    [​IMG]

chacal likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The issue is the depth of the clip in the bore. A long-nosed tool is best, but a pair of awls will do in a pinch.

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Since the catalog has no pics, here is the tool. It really is life changing when it comes to rebuilding brake and clutch masters.

0CDE276F-22B2-42C0-A3A8-B020FF26D3BC.jpeg

Minimutly, hogfiddles, k-moe and 3 others like this.
  6. Andius

Andius Member

Sorry for the silence. I've ordered the tool from Len. Thanks for the tips all. I'll try to photo-document the grimy process.

k-moe likes this.
  7. Andius

Andius Member

Hey all. I received the circlip compressor from Len tonight and went in to remove the clip. Quick success!
    [​IMG]

I've removed the plunger assembly and lined it up with the new kit's parts.
    [​IMG]
    Top is obviously the old assembly. I'd torn the outer boot apart on extraction, so that's why it's missing. However, I don't seem to have the bottom boot that sits at the base of the spring (against the body of the MC). Not that I want to use the old one, but it's torn, so not an option. Are there any alternatives one might recommend?

8. k-moe

Len should have that part in stock.
    I wouldn't use anything else since its job is to protect the bore from the spring wearing away at it when the spring is compressed.
    Did you get the rebuild kit from Len?

9. Andius

Andius Member

Update! I've realized that the images I'm copy/pasting in aren't showing up..

Top is obviously the old assembly. I'd torn the outer boot apart on extraction, so that's why it's missing. However, I don't seem to have the bottom boot that sits at the base of the spring (against the body of the MC).

However, it turns out the top piece tore. It looks a bit obvious now, but I had a hard time imagining that whole ring tore off.. At any rate, I'm cleaning out the bore now, soon to install the new MC assembly.

I snipped the wires to the brake assembly, but picked up an interesting solder/wrap kit I perusing Jalopnik. I'll try using it during reinstallation and post impressions.

10. Andius

Andius Member

I received the interesting solder/wrap kit yesterday, and I think I'll leave this for another project.. They seem fine, but I have a working soldering iron, so I'll go with what I know will work for now.

11. k-moe

I actually love those things, and I'm a certified old-school linesman's splice and electrical/friction tape person.

12. Andius

Andius Member

Ah, well I'll be sure to use them, on this project or something in the future.