1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What else do you ride?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by pianomangg, Jan 8, 2006.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have been married to the same woman for 35 years, and have been driving one and only XJ550 for 35 years and 3 months. (We bought it as a wedding gift to each other).

2. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

First bike was a 2004 Moto Guzzi Breva v750ie which I foolishly traded in for a ratty 2003 Suzuki Bandit Gsf1200s. That was soon sold in favour of my daily rider - a 2014 GSX1250fa.

So I'm a Suzuki rider now with an Xj/Fj600 project bike.

Thinking of buying a Honda CX500 or a Kawasaki Z650 tomorrow! Struggling to make my mind up hence my thread in this forum looking for opinions.

If I could be gifted a brand new bike (without the option to flip it for cash) I think I'd be over the moon with a Moto Guzzi V85.

3. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Now added a tatty but coming together XJ9 to the stable , she’s ‘83.. of course and hasn’t been run in 12 years ... got her going a few days ago .... needs a bit more tlc but I’m not going to restore her to A1 I’m going to ride her ... everywhere , just waiting on DMV for my plates, hopefully Mon or Tues cos I have a delivery to CT coming ... so shakedown run might be on the cards !!

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

2001 Honda 750 Shadow that I've had for about 15 years. I use it mostly for road trips to Daytona and the mountains of NC and TN. 44,000 miles with only oil changes, one chain and sprockets, and one change of tires. Got 25,000 out of the first set of Bridgestones and changed them mainly due to age. Also have 2004 Honda Rebel that I use around town just for the fun of it. Never had any problems with either of the Hondas.

Timbox likes this.
  5. ksigurdsen

ksigurdsen Member

I picked up a 1984 Honda GL1200A (Goldwing) in late 2013 that had been cared for but parked for 7 years at that time due to the previous owner's decline in health. The bike was complete but needed the usual things done to be returned to a road worthy condition. The bikes Honda and Yamaha built in the 80's are terrific works of engineering that keep on going with the right care.

6. Turbobob23

Turbobob23 Member

While my Maxim xj1100 was down I picked up this 1988 Kawasaki Concours zg1000. Been a fantastic bike for road trips and just cruisin around. Wife and I have great times on it.
    I did the custom color and a friend laid on the real fire flames to look like the engine caught fire. Added a trunk last summer for longer trips.

Attached Files:

Timbox, Franz and SpearChucker like this.
  7. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

As the 750RL is in need of some TLC, I picked up an '03 Triumph Sprint ST 955i with hard luggage as my daily rider. Put 5300km on her last summer and can't wait to get back on her in April. The XJ750 has a couple of electrical gremlins, needs valve clearances done, the new plastic needs to be painted and the seat cover needs replacing. Then I can insure it as a classic and enjoy on weekends. Still one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen and a joy to ride.

Attached Files:

Timbox, Franz and Turbobob23 like this.
  8. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

I've gotta say I love the flames. I've been thinking of having a buddy do ghost flames on the Sprint.

9. Turbobob23

Turbobob23 Member

Thank you. Aside from the real fire flame I love host flames best. My '87 Thunderbird Turbocoupe is set with ghost flames just long and whispery down the sides.

SpearChucker likes this.
  10. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

My othere ride is a 1969 honda ct70 that I ride around the yard. One year it got more miles than my 550 Seca.

11. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

This year I will make the SRX-6 running again after 15 of static enjoyement in the livingroom.:D
    Was to busy with the ratbikes(scene) and riding those bikes.

12. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Hey Yammaaat, I have a SRX 6 1987 model, that's 2NX. A grey import from the mother country. Had it for about 8 years and did a fair bit of maintenance and upgrades when I first got it and did about 12,000 k's on it, really enjoyed it. But .. as an older chap now it unfortunately sits and sneers at the 2005 TDM900 I now ride more than any other of my 2 wheel toys. The srx is a fun bike tho', I just prefer more comfort now. I hope you get it running smooth and have fun with it. There is a very good facebook site with helpful people for the srx, plenty of files on there lists to reference. They were more popular in europe than other places I'm sure you will find plenty of info' on them.

Yammaat likes this.
  13. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Hey Bushy,
    the SRX is model 86 and in mint condition with 9600 mls and we bought it appr. 30 years ago. Just rode it on summerdays and max 100 km on a stretch but full throttle if possible with appr. 160 kmh..lol. Rode it for years untill the kids came along.
    Since then it has been idle on and off while residing in our livingroom as piece of art together with a Batavus from '49 (ánd a 73 xs 650 but sold that one).
    I have no doubt that the bike will start right up since we kept/keep it well maintainted. We have the original yamaha maintenance book too.
    I don't have/do fb of wa for that matter and have enough knowledge of the bike to keep it running well.
    I got mine thru import aswell; California.
    It's one of 50 registrated in this country.. they were way to expensive in those days overhere.
    Was a member of the SRX-Connection for years and we had several meetings with other thumpers.
    Comfy or good handling bikes they are not despite Koni's, progr. springs and steeringdamper, but still cool.
    My SecaRat is way more comfy, but not as the MagnaV65's I rode for 25 years, and suitable for the (long) rides I (prefer to) make.

14. yamrider

yamrider New Member

at the moment i have an xt 225 serow which i have had for several years and i would like a 550 seca to keep it company in the man cave

15. jerry57g

jerry57g New Member

2006 EX650 with 99,000 miles on it (I'm the original owner) and a just finished Yam 1975ish XS tracker using my race bike as the core. The only stock item is the frame which I had to get to get a title to license it.

16. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I would love to see this, pics please

17. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Just picked up Kawi Versy 650 for a good price. Runs good but going through some basic maintenance. Will need to get around to checking the valves soon. Looks a lot more complicated than my XJ for that one:)

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

@Pizzaman, looking forward to hear what the pros and cons are of that bike. I am looking into a Yamaha Tracer 900 for my daily.

19. noah scott

noah scott Member

First bike was a vulcan 750...which unfortunately went sideways. Which then paid for this guy. 98 savage, was bone stock and needed some work... Put some new lights on, bobbed it our, threw on a slide carb, cleaned up the wiring (more so now then in that Pic)
    Had it bobbed out, but that seat wasn't bad around town, but the 45 mins to work was a bit much...
    Bottom pics is how it is now just rode it up yo the store Screenshot_20220420-194921_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220420-194901_Instagram.jpg

20220420_192534.jpg 20220420_192541.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Put about 1500 miles on the Versy so far. It's been a lot of fun to ride. Very comfortable for longer trips and the freeways than the Maxim 550. Not as much personality though. Pain in the **rse to take the fairings off any time you need to do some work on it. Just had to replace a stator which apparently is pretty common with these bikes. Nice to ride a more modern bike.