1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Beginner restoration of a 82 XJ550 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Mancub, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Mancub

Mancub Member

Definitely not. I'm hoping that they help pay for the replacement. That didn't just call and say, hey it didn't work sorry, they returned me a destroyed tank!

k-moe likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

trying to find where i stored that info. it was a kawasaki tank from the 80s

3. Mancub

Mancub Member

@Timbox I made a thread in that forum, thanks for pointing me there. I had that thought, of how I still want to keep working on, get it running, ride it around the block get some juices flowing etc. Can I do that with a little aux tank like that? Just use that until I finally get an option for the real one? Just a temporary tank that will work to get things running.

4. Mancub

Mancub Member

@Timbox I posted something on that forum thank you for pointing me there. Also I was wondering if there was a way to keep working on it and get it running, run around the block, get the juices flowing etc. while I am waiting to figure out how to do the tank. Would an Aux tank like this work for that? Is that like a big mistake or common thing people do to hook that up instead of tank.

Sorry it wasn't showing so I typed a new one then it showed up now can't figure out how to delete the post.

5. XJ550H

6. XJ550H

7. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Got any plans for the front end and seat??

8. Mancub

Mancub Member

So the radiator shop said they could straighten out the tank and exterior of it (but he thinks because the inside is the way it is its not worth much) or he will pay me like 50 bucks to find a replacement. Thoughts? I just can't find a replacement that seems good without tons of modifications. And I'm worried that if I just use this tank with all that crap inside not even their chemical dip would fix, it's going to mess things up all the time.

9. Jake750

Jake750 Member

first gen kz900?? Pretty sure the original kz900 frame's had a triple backbone like the Maxim/Radian.

Speaking of which, might want to consider a radian 600 tank if you're going for a cafe racer look. I'd imagine they're compatible and have a more sporty look.

10. Mancub

Mancub Member

Can anyone confirm Jake750’s idea? I’m down for a better or different looking tank if I can make something fit!

11. Mancub

Mancub Member

Sadly a quick search for 96 radian 600 tank (I believe that’s first gen) comes up just about as fruitless as a xj550 tank search... open for ideas on the tank, I’m hoping to keep working on getting things running in the meantime, aux tank on the way.

12. cregoryjames

cregoryjames New Member

I might have a 550 tank. I can check tomorrow night if that works for you. Not sure the condition, but I'll check everything and send pictures if I find it. Just moved this winter and have been working on my 650 so I snag xj parts whenever I find them local

13. Mancub

Mancub Member

Update and in need some help. I did all this before I was gone for a few weeks, just got back and want to figure out the next steps.

I got the carbs all apart, cleaned, thought things looked good, put them back together. I then put them back on the bike(sweet mercy those carbs are ugly and tough going off and back on). The tank is off right now so I hooked up an auxiliary tank(doesn’t have a petcock I don’t know if that matters). I got it all reconnected, changed the spark plugs, changed the oil, turn it over and.... nothing. I can get it to turn and try but it’s not igniting. Then I realize that gas is draining out the bottom, looks like an overflow hose that comes out of the air box. Looked inside the airbox and saw what carb air hole gas was coming out of. Sooo does that mean that carb has a problem with the float and is flooding? Is that enough to flood the whole thing and not allow it to start at all? It looked like it basically drained the whole aux tank, till it leveled out to not leak anymore, and there is just some gas in the hose now.

I am just trying to get it running, make sure I got that going, before I make air pod adjustments and take everything apart for customizing and cleaning. Thoughts?

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Did you wet set the carbs before reinstalling? That will tell you if any float valves are leaking as well tell you the correct gas level.
    Check your oil it may be full of fuel

15. XJ550H

One thing to remember about the 550 carbs is on first refill you have to

Rap a hammer handle or screwdriver handle against the car bowls because the float needles tend to get stuck that could be what your problem was with the leak

16. Mancub

Mancub Member

No... after I cleaned them and reassembled I just put the carbs back on. Then poured gas in the aux tank thinking I could just let them fill up and they would take what they needed, stop, then I would try to run it. Turned it over but couldn’t get anything to catch. Put some buster in the cylinder to try and get things going but that didn’t work. Maybe there isn’t spark? That’s an easy check but I don’t think that’s it.

So what’s the next step? Pull them off and try to Wet set them, If that doesn’t work then go about replacing the float needles?

17. Mancub

Mancub Member

Been awhile! Okay I pulled the carbs out and then rapped around on the bowls, then put fuel into them andddd.... fuel started coming out of the air intake side... My best guess is the float needles right? Would that be why it wouldn't start, it was just flooded so I couldn't get anything to catch. I'm ordering a few things from Len, curious if you guys think I'm missing anything.
    HCP895SET4 - Orings set idle screw
    HCP896SET4 - Washer set, idle screw
    HCP1670SET4 - float needles set, this is the main thing
    HCP18412SET4 - bowl gaskets, might as well

Also I'm still on the hunt for a GAS TANK! Anyone got any leads for an xj550 maxim tank!?

18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

What did you set your floats at for the initial height? Initial setting before wetsetting is 21.5mm.

if your floats aren’t close to that, they may not close properly.

19. Mancub

Mancub Member

I tried to get them all pretty close to that 21.5, I did feel like the sensitivity was a little too much like it wasn't cutting off or pushing down really.

20. Mancub

Mancub Member

Ok folks so I got some new float needles and a few other things things to just update it while I had it apart from our by Len at xj4ever.

Wet set and no fuel was coming out the air intake so looks like that worked! Hopefully:) However when put them all together and tried letting some fuel down to test the connections I see a leak in that T bar fuel connecter in the middle! Like it’s not sealing.

Besides replacing it which I don’t want to do cause it seems fine, there aren’t rubber gaskets on that piece, is there something I can put on it, or do to seal those fuel connectors all up? I wanted to ask before I did something dumb. I have some gasket maker stuff, plumbers tape... yeah just wanted to ask my smart friends.