1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stuck in gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Yammaat, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Aaaarrgghhh.. my seca is stuck in first gear and won't shift anymore.
    I made a nice ride.. parked it, left after an hour, rode it 2 km's, stopped at a trafficlight and no upshifting possible any more.
    Any hints of what might have happened? Spring inside the engine?
    Probably the engine has to come out I assume.
    Damn.. was just preparing for a nice trip etc... but rather at 20 km from home then somewhere in Europe.
    Is this a familiar flaw? Haven't searched the database/posts yet coz now I'm typing on a computer that's not mine.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Check under the gear selector cover for any broken components. If they are fine it might be your alternator/starter chain guide failure. Check for plastic bits in the engine oil and the sump.

If it is the guide the cases have to be split. You can see through a opening in the crankcase when the shifter cover is removed for plastic bits too. An oil spray nozzle behind the alternator rotor lubricates the chain. That will get ruined if the guide has failed as the chain will hit it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

I could still ride the bike in first gear without any extra noise whatsoever.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If is your guide you are better not using the bike until you repair it.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Check it first. Hope it's not the guide. I would remove the selector claws, etc under the shift cover and try and rotate the selector drum by hand. If it won't turn you might have plastic stuck in the drum tracks the selector fork pins fit into.

Check this.

https://www.xjcd.org/emergency_guidectomy

Yammaat likes this.
  7. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Aha.. ok but first I have to get the bike home and the engine out. The gear spring seems ok but blocks when trying to get the shiftlever up to neutral or second gear.
    Got another engine complete and one in parts.
    Big bummer nevertheless.

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Can you do an engine exchange to keep you on the road while you repair it? If you have to split cases check the starter clutch rollers and springs, renew the guide and bolts and check both chains. Heat up the bolts holding the old guide before slackening them to soften factory thread lock. The bolts can snap if they are not heated first. I think you can leave the top end of the motor assembled if you are not changing the starter/alternator chain.

Yes it's unfortunate. I changed mine last year. The guides fail with age.

9. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

I just saw the links to get the engine out and how to check/clear the shiftmechanism .
    Thanks.. could be helpfull.

I haven't looked into it sofar because I just got home and had to eat first..lol

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I like to use the frame to anchor the engine for slackening tight components. But it is fine to remove it with the engine closed. Mezzmo engine rebuild here, more videos on YouTube. Same as the 750.

11. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

I will first check the space behind the shiftcover to find out what is going on.
    The other engine will have the same agingproblem I presume so swapping is even more timeconsuming.
    To be continued..

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you have the cover off do this. read the link on guidectomy it is ment to be done on side of rode to get you home

https://www.xjcd.org/emergency_guidectomy

Yammaat likes this.
  13. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Thanks.. I will give it a try and otherwise it could be the end of the SecaRat because hauling 75 kg engines and working in a small space without proper utilities is not what I'm gonna do I'm afraid. Buying another seca, with a high probabillity that it will happen again due to age, and rebuilt it all. Or am I too pessimistic?
    Pity though because the bike was finally the way I liked it.
    But we'll see what happens if I open up the left side.

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You are being pessimistic.
    I've changed truck transmissions out in a gravel driveway (in the rain mind you) without a proper transmission jack.
    My first workshop was a metal 8x10 shed. Power came courtesy of a 50' extension cord.
    You can keep her working.

Jetfixer and chacal like this.
  15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I used a sack truck to move the engine and had a small room to work on it. I stripped and rebuilt it on the floor. Making a bench for the next one l work on. And if you rebuild your engine the SecaRat will run for many more years.

k-moe likes this.
  16. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

I will try to pry the stuff out and see how it goes from there but I will not rebuild the engine.
    The job is to big under the circumstances and will take to much time all in all.
    Believe me I really care about this special machine (for me) but I have t0 stay realistic.
    Sorry guys (and girls).
    Will keep you informed about the rubbish removal.

17. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

There might be an other option;
    how does the 900F relate to the seca regarding fitting other exhaustdampers, frontfork top triangle, to put the secasteer and stuff on there again.

18. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Does the top/triplecrown of a 750 seca 11M fit on a xj 900?

19. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Nobody knows the anwser to the crown question I guess? Will look into that myself then.:)
    Next plan regarding the seca; I'll probably buy another Yamaha, perhaps a Tracer 700 or TDM, and take my time with the seca.
    I will not rebuilt it myself but bring the engine to a very good mechanic when time is due.

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A lot of us were riding on the weekend, or like me preparing for a new week of teaching (yay...It's standardizied testing time /sarcasm).

The 900 engine should fit into your 750 frame, but it will be a tight fit. You might need to pull the engine for valve checks.
    The Information Overload Hour

The triple tree should fit, but there might need to be a change of bearings. Check with @chacal or All Balls Racing
    I have no idea about any potential geometry changes since I've never had a 900 to look at.

I envy you Europeans and the access you have to the TDM range. I passed on a TDM 850 due to the lack of an extra $500 (in the 90's).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021