1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

picked up a newfloresent green jacket mesh all weather. glows in the sunshine.
    zip out liner.

cgutz likes this.
  2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I did this today—-
    55D54E88-F8E0-4A3D-AAA4-B29092C8C5BA.jpeg
    just what a Good Friday needed......

Oh...... sorry. I just looked at the Yamahas. To much grit and salt on the roads. Too much snow between the road and storage, so I tried to ‘remove’ some of it by using my snowmobiles. Oops, I mean ‘snowblower’. Yeah, that’s the ticket——:rolleyes:

cgutz and ksigurdsen like this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Better weather is coming. Those Yamaha's will be out soon :D

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder likes this.
  4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yup! But since I enjoy snowmobiling, too...... I can enjoy the cold just as much

Franz and k-moe like this.
  5. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

I finished rebuilding my fork tubes and put everything together. Proud and happy. Still a ways to go before I can enjoy it but I think it was money and time well spent. :)

Franz and XJ550FirstTimeBuilder like this.
  6. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

The SecaRat is home and parked where there can be limited wrenching.
    Now I have to wait till the temps are up (+15) to pull the engine partly apart.

7. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Is there an estimate in how many wrenching hours go into splitting the engine and replacing the chain(tensioner) and stuff, by a certified mechanic?

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I don't know to be honest. When l did mine l had problems with the barrel crankcase stud and nut behind the oil cooler pipe bracket. The two studs were seized on the cylinder head barrel joint at the exhaust side of the cam tunnel. Might be worth putting a gas torch on these before putting bike in for the engine rebuild.

9. XJ550H

they probally have a flat rate manual for pricing it at a dealership

10. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Flatrate; nope it comes down at hours of labour and is dependable on the season.
    In wintertime no or less work so lower pricing to keep things going several shops told me.
    So autumn it is and next year probably the rebuild of the engine into the frame etc.
    6-8 hours was their estimate.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That's what Flat rate is. Dollars per hour of labor, as opposed to charging separate amounts for each step of the job, or a fixed amount for the entire job regardless of time spent.

Yammaat likes this.
  12. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Aha, thanks.. didn't know that. :)

k-moe likes this.
  13. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Flat rate as I know it is a particular job is supposed to take "X" amount of time to complete and the charge is based on that amount of time and the shop's hourly labor rate. Some jobs are strictly time and material where however much the parts and labor add up to be at the end is what the bill is. Maybe that's what Kmoe was saying and I misunderstood. Either way, I finally got a few minutes in the garage tonight. Aside from chasing down my 1 year old who is way too good at stealing tools already, I managed to get a new, used set of CB750 coils and new wires installed on my 750 midnight maxim. I was somewhat surprised when I turned the old coils over that they were cracked quite bad on the underside so hopefully this will be an improvement. I was mainly wanting to be able to change the wires as I already had new plug caps. I have the carbs I got from a forum member that were rebuilt by hogfiddles wet set, installed, and vacuum synced. Just need some more time to put a fresh set of plugs in and break out the color tune. Raining on and off for the next few days so hopefully I will get it done. Then only a few more things to check off the list and should be good to go for the season

Yammaat likes this.
  14. XJ550H

rode to work yesterday and today 37 degres F and the sun hiding behind the mountains.

15. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

I also thought it was the rate to do the job completely in one go.

16. XJ550H

yup thats what it is . they look it up in a book it says x amount of hours to do the job .
    I worked at an auto dealership. some mechanics were paid by job and others by the hour. when you got good enough to complete jobs quickly you were moved to the hourly bracket.

I had to have a header replaced on my Jeep and they had to remove ps pump and belt to do the job.
    got a call and was told i needed a new serpintine belt .
    dealership wanted to charge me for the part plus the flat rate manual labor for instalation even though the had not put the bad belt back on .
    putting belt on was part of original job quote but because they said i needed a new belt they wanted to charge me to put that on too.

told them put the old one on , pulled off the property opened the hood and replaced the belt in 10 min. while the service manager was yelling at me and threatining to call police for doing the repair on the street. told him to call them and insulted him for being a thief and a few outher choice words about his mother.
    saved an hours labor charge.

Chitwood and Yammaat like this.
  17. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

A badass xj rider..like that..:D

18. XJ550H

yes that would be flat rate. the flate rate manual has hours of work listed in it.
    the question was how long does it take

19. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Took the Maxim out for the first time in 2 years. Engine ran great after a 5min warm up. It has been sitting because the wife didn't trust it, so she convinced me to let her buy me newer bike, S83 Suzuki for my birthday. I've been riding the Suzuki so long I couldn't find the pegs on the Maxim it felt like a sport bike in comparison. I like the inline 4 way better.

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  20. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

I'm very curious how my experience will be on a 2 cylinder Tracer after 40 y of 4 cylinder in line and V-4 engines.