1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is there another way to fine tune your clutch ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tony222, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Hello, I am still fixing up my 1982 XJ550 maxin but I am making progress. I am still working on the clutch. The problem was that I would adjust the cable and sometimes I would get an easy neutral, 1st, 2nd but then no 3rd,4th,5th, or 6th. Then I would adjust it and get a harder to find or impossible to find neutral, clunky 1st and 2nd but the top gears would pop in. So first thing I did was order a new cable and oil it up and install it. right away I noticed that the new cable was like 3 inches longer then the one that was installed on the bike when I got it. It works find but made routing it a little challenging. I then noticed that the return spring on the clutch return mechanism was broken so I took the off and got it going but its only 85 % good from what it use to be so I ordered a new spring from Len and am waiting for that to come in. I watched some videos that showed there was a adjuster bolt/screw mechanism that I could make some finer clutch adjustments to. On the video it showed on the left side of the bike but I took off the plate where the foot shifter goes into and I could not find anything. My question is:
    1.) Does a 1982 xj550 maxim even have one of those shifter screw/nut clutch adjustment parts?

2.) Besides the hand clutch adjustment and the cable end adjustment part is there any other way to fine tune the clutch adjustment on my bike?

3.) I have 6 gears now but Neutral is still hard to find. Is that just the way it is on my model?

4.) Under the aluminum plate on the left side by the gear shifter there is a wire that just looks like a ground of some kind. Does that have anything to do with the neutral or clutch or is that something to do with the kick stand sensor? Also there is a small plate underneath the aluminum plate that has two screws holding it on. What is that?

Sorry for so many questions but if you have any answers that would be great to know as I try to figure this bike out. Thanks again:)

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Neutral can be dificult to find. It takes an easy touch with the toe to not blow right past it.
    It sounds like you have it adjusted correctly now.

Have you read this?
    CLUTCHES 101-Part 1: the 400/550/600s with pics

I can't help with the other questions, but someone more knowledgeable about the 550 should be along sometime soon.

cgutz likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I learned that with my MZ, much more movement in the gear pedal on that bike. First time I tried a Japanese machine a slight movement of the pedal was all that was required. MZ was hideous looking but got me to work. :D

4. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Yes I did read that K-moe but thanks. I don't want to have to do the clutch plates unless I really have to. She is going in Tuesday for a carb job and I will get that mechanic to set up my cable and adjustments and see if he can make it any better for me. I will try to figure out the gear movement next time I am on the bike but I have been driving Japanese bikes for the last 40 years but yes everyone has their own "personality" for sure.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that is the neutral switch under the shifter cover on the 550.
    and yes neutral is hard to get used to on the 550.

6. k-moe

I just wanted to make sure that you had used the clutch cable adjustment method that is outlined in the article.

7. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Yes I did and it worked good thanks but mine is still not perfect.

8. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Tony, does your clutch feel usually "heavy" or or hard to pull?

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have had my xj550 since new. When the clutch cable is correctly adjusted:

1) I often get a "clunk" putting it in gear from neutral
    2) neutral is sometimes a "hunt" - requiring some "finessing" the lever.

The clutch cable should be fairly easy to pull if in good shape, routed correctly without a lot sharp bends, and is well lubricated.

10. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Sounds good Cgutz. Thanks for your help. Is there any other way to adjust the clutch besides both ends of the cable? On another bike I saw a screw/nut combo to fine tune the clutch. Ours doesn't have that does it?

11. k-moe

The adjuster at the clutch lever is the "fine tune." There are no other adjustments possible with a single-part clutch cable. It's just one adjustment at each end.

cgutz likes this.
  12. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Since new, I have replaced clutch cable about 3 times. I have found aftermarket clutch cables sometimes are a bit long...and difficult to route and get good results. The cables from XJ4ever (top right icon on this page), was the right size....as always....

13. Tony222

Tony222 Member

No Jake my clutch does not feel heavy or hard to pull. It actually feels about right after I adjusted it.

Jake750 likes this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a shifter upgrade it installe a lever with a bearing instead of washer

15. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Cool. I think I will just install the new spring that I just got from XJ4ever and see if that improves things or not. I think as I drive it more and more that it is getting better. I am not sure how long this bike has been sitting around but it has definitely been a while. I just got it back from it's carb cleaning and now there is not more leaking fuel as the mechanic said there was a torn gasket that he replaced. So now its just putting on the new spring,the new centre stand, checking out the back brake and getting the new speedometer cable to work. Other than that the bike is all new:) Thanks!