1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil in engine??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by yamahaxj750maxim, Apr 25, 2021.

1. yamahaxj750maxim

yamahaxj750maxim New Member

So i checked my spark plugs just now and there is black stuf everywhere im guessing its not fuel. Can anyone confirm? 8feb37be-d83b-4318-b044-259a916da890.jpg 11d1de93-acde-4da4-9fd6-9b311ac18812.jpg d79c5325-1871-4d60-a989-3e61ad6643f6.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Top plug looks good a little carbon on it the second plug shouldn't be white maybe a little lean. Are you talking about the oil on the threads of the plugs?. Or are you talking about those couple of spots and black cook near the plug hole? If the plugs are all oily I would be concerned but I don't see that you might have a small oil drip coming off your valve cover but the area looks pretty clean

k-moe likes this.
  3. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

In an overly, overly simplistic assessment.........dry sooty black is rich, wet sooty black is oil, white is lean, light tan is ideal......

Top pic looks like deposits from additives in fuel otherwise ok; second pic looks lean, third pic plug might not have been tight

Plug reading is both an art and science and I am neither an artist nor an scientist

XJ550H likes this.
  4. yamahaxj750maxim

Thank you both very much.

5. yamahaxj750maxim

If two cilinders are running lean should i jet those bigger or do all at the same time?

6. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Clean carbs............what kind of fuel are you running? What is your elevation?

k-moe likes this.
  7. XJ550H

most likely you need to adjust the mixture screws open up the lean one a dimes width at a time

k-moe likes this.
  8. yamahaxj750maxim

9. yamahaxj750maxim

You're talking about these right? They're stuck, i've tried many times but i dont want to break them. Have you got any tips on this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It sure does look like it's salty where you are, but given that you're supposed to be under the sea that isn't surprising.

The only fair chance you have of getting the idle mixture screws unstuck is tearing the carbs down completely and giving them a good soak in a carb dip.
    Given how much corrosion is on the rest of the bike I'd hesitate to tell you do go straight into doing that, because you're gong to be fighting corroded fasteners the whole way through the job, and likely break a few.

The lean one isn't so lean as to worry me. I'd ride it as-is until you're ready for a winter (or maybe multi-winter) project.

I'd also caution you to check the lower frame tube along where the kickstand is. That's one of the few places where the frame tends to rust through. Mine had a dime sized hole in it, and it spent most of its life in a semi-arid desert.

11. XJ550H

so you ride under water?
    you could start spraying them with pb blaster to soak over night untill your set to dig into them. heat from running then add spray at end of day may help soak in

12. yamahaxj750maxim

I'm not worried about riding it this summer as i can't legally drive it for a couple of years.

It's decently salty here i guess, i live in northen netherlands.

My main problem right now is the engine wont idle so thats why. I thought maybe there is something wrong with the engine itself.

And yes there were two holes on the bottom of my frame.

Will try the carb dip, Thanks for your help:)

13. k-moe

There should be one small hole for drainage.
    Get the frame welded, or take a welding class and do it yourself as part of the class if possible.

Before all that: Read This First you have homework to do before tackling a project that large.
    Fortunately you have the time to do things right wihthout the urgent drive to go and ride her.

14. JCH

JCH Active Member

If you have no vacuum leaks or worn parts like needles and jets it may just need to have the floats adjusted Wet Set...

k-moe likes this.
  15. k-moe

If the idle mixture screws are corroded, than the float bowl screws will be too .They are a bit easier to get ustuck though.

IMHO this is the makings of a long-term project, or a parts bike, depending on the passion of the owner.

16. yamahaxj750maxim

I bought this bike for learning the ins and outs of it all. And so far im loving it (and hating it at the same time), i will finish this bike!

k-moe likes this.
  17. k-moe

In that case, start reading: Read This First

You should also learn about removing corroded fasteners without breaking them, removing broken fasteners, and when it's a good idea to use a machine shop for that job instead of attempting it at home.

XJ550H likes this.