1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bad tire, bad mounting?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SQLGuy, May 9, 2021.

1. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

:)

Yeah... no thanks.

Called the shop this morning. Need to bring it down for them to see what's going on.

My choices are either to ride the bike down so they can take of removing and reinstalling the wheel, or just to bring the wheel. I think I'll do the latter... so I don't have to ride more with that un-round tire, and also so I can bring the old D404, in case the new tire is bad... at the least, at that point, they can swap that tire back on and I won't be without a rear tire for the up to 2 months that an inspection by Michelin will take.

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

35 thou? Less than 1mm - I doubt I'd notice. I don't think my wheels are even that round.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

An out of round tire can’t be fixed by balancing it. It will always shake/bounce.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They better be.

chacal likes this.
  5. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm misreading the dial indicator, then. It's quite noticeable. The wheel itself ran out more like 5. Too bad there's not an easy way to post the video here.

Took it to the shop this morning, and their conclusion was that it was not fully seated on the bead. They remounted it and felt it was much better now. I'll probably put the wheel back on the bike tomorrow and see.

Franz, a100man and k-moe like this.
  6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

for a cast wheel I guess. Spec for most spoked wheels is about 2mm max (lateral or radial)
    Although 2 mm is actually quite noticeable.

7. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Reinstalled the wheel. Definitely looks better just spinning it by hand. Will try it on the road tomorrow.

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Feels better on the road, but still has some weird vibration around 45 to 50 on the speedometer.

9. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well if you are like me you would be thinking "darn, I'm not sure that wasn't there before."

Maybe the speedo and cable are due for some lubrication?

10. tj.

tj. Active Member

Tire issues are a bummer for sure. Some things I've learned over the years of doing my own motorcycle tires...

If it were me, I would confirm that the bead on both tires are seated properly...since the rear is now correct (assuming), it could have masked an issue with the front.

Next I would confirm runout in the vertical and horizontal, again in both wheels. Spec on most of the XJ's is 2mm vertical and horizontal. Oddly enough, some are listed as 0.5mm vertical and 1.0mm horizontal, while others are listed 1.0mm vertical and 0.5mm horizontal. Typo in the FSM?...what are the odds ;). Regardless you should check the FSM for your bike.

After that check how much wheel weight was put on and where in relation to the stem. Nothing in the manuals regarding max wheel weights, but anytime I've added 2oz or more i get concerned. Since Michelin doesn't mark the light spot in the tire with a dot (they are perfect, I guess:rolleyes:) I think the weight should be 180 degrees...ish away from the stem.

After checking those things and you've found no reason to be concerned, change your tire pressures a little at a time and see how it responds...starting with the pressures listed in your FSM.

Most manufacturer will ask you to "run-in" a new set of tires, usually 100 miles...it may get better.

A word of caution, if you decide to use balancing beads of some sort and the tire is found to be out of round, the manufacturer will probably decline a warranty claim. Best to check with Michelin.

That's all I can think of at the moment...hope you get it sorted.

Cheers.