1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Final drive spine lub

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Carl LaFong, May 23, 2021.

1. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Want to lubricate final drive spine at the end that goes into the pumpkin. Question: does it wreck the seal every time or just sometimes? If every time will put it off. Looking at the posts these final drives give little trouble. Bike has 41000 km on it. Trying to figure out what normal sounds are for this machine. I have put just 1200km on it
    Thoughts welcome.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

16217737955033738979823731032885.jpg

This is the seal you need to remove the circlip and washer to replace it. I have not replaced mine so cannot advise you regarding damage to the seal with routine maintenance. Good idea to replace it since you are lubricating the splines. It's a robust final drive only thing it needs is the oil changed when recommend and the greasing of the items in the manual.

k-moe likes this.
  3. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

To be clear franz. Do you remove the seal to lube the splines?

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Seal should be good , a little gear oil on splines ...this is to help if you have to remove diff.

StarGeneral likes this.
  5. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Pulling the seal out should not wreck it. If it does, the seal was probably kaput (I just replaced mine as it was munched) This seal is mainly meant to stop grease from flowing out of the splines into the swing arm. There is another, internal seal that seals the actual final drive oil inside the housing - that's the one that requires special tools and know-how to replace.

hogfiddles likes this.
  6. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Okay so pull out final drive and driveshaft then remove outer seal grease splines. Correct?

7. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Moly grease?

8. DaygloDavid

DaygloDavid Active Member

On an XJ650, the shaft (male) to pinion (female) splines are lubricated with oil from the final gear housing itself. The oil seal on the shaft prevents the oil leaking out into the swing arm. I've currently got a final gear unit in bits and will be replacing the shaft seal on reassembly.