1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to XJ's

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Terry Thompson, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Terry Thompson

Terry Thompson New Member

Hey there!
    Picked up my retirement ride back in March. I found a super maintained 86 XJ700s. I'd been partial to the Yamaha cruiser style of the time. I borrowed my brothers XV700 Virago for a few years. I wanted more UMPH! The XJ700s is spades over the Virago in my opinion.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I had an 82 Virago 750 after getting the starter mostly worked was a good bike , I prefer my Secas . Welcome to the group after five posts you should be able to post pictures, we always like to see pictures of your project. Cheers

3. Terry Thompson

Once I got my XJ700s I started researching it. BikeZ and MotorcycleDB both list the XJ700s and XJ700x with between 86 and 90 hp. I've read one old magazine article which stated that the X was 15hp stronger than the S. What is true? Anyone have experience with both? Does the X walk away from the S? How do they compare?
    My friends with big HD & Kawasaki V twins are afraid of my 700S. I kinda like that. Is it worth stepping up to a X to really scare them?!
    P.S. Love this site! Great resource for XJ's!

4. chrisonthestreet

chrisonthestreet New Member

Congrats on your bike! Back in 86-87 , prior to it going out of business , I worked as a tech at the local Yamaha/ Kawasaki Dealer. I remember we sold 3 XJ700 over that first spring. All were air cooled. Here in Canada, the other models were all 750's (FZ, and Fazer), and for the slight price difference, they tended to sell more. I cant remember if we sold or even offered the 700X Maxim.
    I would doubt the 86-90 horsepower number,.. seems to me it was closer to mid- 70's -- the only reason I say that is because their own hyper 750 at the time, the FZ, , which was liquid cooled, 5 valve, and tuned to the sky was at 105hp. I owned a 1985 FZ750, and it was in a whole different world at the drag strip compared to the Maxim 700 (air cooled). but i could be completely wrong and it really was that high

5. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/motorcycles-specs/yamaha/yamaha-xj-700-n-maxim-1985

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/motorcycles-specs/yamaha/yamaha-fz-750-1985

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  6. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

7. Terry Thompson

Hey guys, Thanks for the website links! Interesting reads.