1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Headlight

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Drewh86, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Drewh86

Drewh86 New Member

So I am asking, in the manual it says that the headlight relay to a 1982 650 maxim is located under the gas tank, others have told me it's below tci, rectifier, on left of bike, please help me out, as my headlight doesn't turn on while bike is running. Need it to pass inspection

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

It depends what market your bike was designed for - they don't all have them. First job - verify which diagram applies to your bike.

3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-relay-switch-sensor-and-diodes-guide.27543/

From the above link. You will also find troubleshooting tips in that link if you need them.

"XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models
    :

Flasher: near the steering headpipe, on right side frame rail, under the right side ignition coil.
    Flasher canceller: under the rear of gas tank, behind ignition coils
    Starter motor solenoid/relay: on right hand side, attached to and behind the battery box.
    Diode block: inside the headlight housing.
    Starter/Ignition cut-off relay (no color): behind the turn signal self-canceller. (note: the drawing and the description in the service manual is wrong).
    1980-81 Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): did not use.
    1982-84 Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): frame bracket outbound of LH frame tube, just behind the left ignition coil.
    Headlight relay (yellow): behind the left frame side cover, on the plastic regulator-rectifier mounting plate. (note: the drawing and the description in the service manual is wrong).
    Neutral switch: in a hole in the bottom of the crankcase, just "outside" of the oil pan, on the bottom of the engine, up inside a recessed "well"."

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

That line on the headlight relay should end with "if fitted". ....

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Maxim and MM models were Norte Americano only models, and all of them used a headlight relay. The rest-of-the-world had no "Maxim" models, only "XJ650" models, which are basically the same as the N.A. XJ650R Seca models............which also used a headlight relay (in basically the same location as the Maxim/MM models..........I'm not sure about the rest-of-the-world models, they may not have used a hlite relay?