1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

going to change my own tires got some questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ550H, Jun 23, 2021.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That is the worst BS answer, and I avoid buying anything from any shop that claims potential liability as a reason for not offering a service to every customer that comes their way.
    There is no more liability from mounting a brought-in tire than there is from mounting one that they sell. The only motive is putting short-term profits above expanding their customer base.

ksigurdsen, XJ550H and Franz like this.
  2. k-moe

1. One weight is from balancing the wheel alone. The second and third were probably placed by someone who did not have the time or patience to find just the right spot for the exact weight needed, so used two in about the right place to get the job done.

2. Clip-on weights are easier to put on and to reuse, but offer no other advantage over stick-on weights. I've used both. If you go with stick-on, clean the wheel really well (must be snooth and grease-free), and place a strip of gaffers tape over the weights after you get them placed so they don't fly off should the adhesive fail.

tj. and XJ550H like this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you ask for tire quote it is about 100$ more than an online purchase before mounting and they still have to order them.
    probally from the same vendor I get them from.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I DO see it as a legitimate reason.

1. I don’t guarantee ANY Carb rebuild if someone insists on supplying their own kit. I order strictly from LEN. That way, if something is wrong, I can correct it.

2. I don’t warranty ANY instrument repairs using parts that someone wants to supply themselves.

3. The only differences are 1)that I’m willing to do the work with full understanding that I can’t guarantee parts that I didn’t get, and 2) if a carburetor or a musical instrument suddenly goes bad, it’s typically not a matter of the user suddenly being DEAD.

Kickaha likes this.
  5. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Balanced mine. Went well. Rear 3/4oz front nothing. My first shinkos on the xs were good to balance too. Glad to hear they are going on well. What make tire?

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Well they won't be bringing anything back then.....

k-moe likes this.
  7. XJ550H

When i take parts to a service station they install them and tell me if the part fails it will cost me labor to have new part installed. If they supply part and part fails when under ware nty the reinstall new part free of labor charge. I am ok with that.

If my tire fails I would not expect a free install of replacement tire if I supplied tire. Refusing to mount tires but will balance them if I bring it in mounted is just crap.

k-moe likes this.
  8. XJ550H

Rim balancing pre tire install.
    Do I want to balance rim like a tire? So that the valve stays where ever I rotate it to?

9. k-moe

Carbs are far more complex than tires though. Refusing to do a job because of "liability" is far different from refusing to warrantee a job. The mom and pop dealerships still know how to provide service, but they are becoming rare. You do make fair points however.

10. k-moe

You want to balance it so the wheel never (or as close to as possible) stops in the same place when you give it a spin.

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  11. tj.

tj. Active Member

The reason to put the rim on the balancer before installing the tire to to find the heavy spot of the rim...no balancing happens here.
    Just mark the spot on the rim that is the heaviest (always comes to rest at the bottom).
    You will put the balance dot on the tire next to the mark you made on the rim. This is assuming the manufacturer of the tire has marked it as the light spot and not the high spot (don't see many manufacturers needing high spot markings anymore). What kind of tire?
    Heavy spot on rim + light spot on tire = least amount of weight needed

After the tire has been installed, then you balance as k-moe suggested.

Unless there is another reason you would balance the rim without the tire installed. If so, please elaborate.

Or did I misunderstand the original question?

12. k-moe

Some people balance the wheel to save time during future tire changes. If you know that the wheel is balanced you can go directly to balancing the tire without needing to find the heavy spot on the wheel.
    It's just a matter of preference, and it's a practice that I don't use myself.

13. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I recently changed the rear tire on my KLR.
    The previous tire I had done at a shop.
    I noticed instead of removing weights already there they just stuck more on 180 degrees out.
    With this approach, a few more tire changes and my rear wheel would be spinning an extra pound of lead.
    I just pulled it all off, runs smooth now but it is a KLR, 150 kph downhill with a tail wind.

XJ550H likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Always helps to get the lead out —- lol

15. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

A while ago I bought a pair of cheap Black&Decker style Workmates, in a 2fer1 deal. It occurred to me they'd be useful for quite a few things, balancing wheels being one of them.
    [​IMG]

[video=youtube_share;ybDoVI6lUJ4]
    You can see that Avon Road Bastd MkII was a bitch to balance. There was a total lack of light spot dot on it. Whether that means Avon are now producing tyres that don't need dots or it simply by-passed the QC stage where it should have been done, I don't know. I think it's a bit much of a coincidence that a tyre with no marking was a pig.

[video=youtube_share;8wWwso2f_lE]
    The rear was easier.

XJ550H and Franz like this.
  16. XJ550H

I am doing the tires on my ZG1200. shinko 777 wheel bearings arrive tomorrow.
    then onto my XJ tires

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

no, you just note/mark the heavy spot, then put the tire dot there, not at the stem.
    your using the tire to balance the wheel, the valve stem is rarely the heavy spot

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  18. k-moe

Franz and ksigurdsen like this.
  19. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

My new tactic is to do the hard work of taking it off and cleaning up the rim beads and getting everything nice and smooth... then the tyre shop fits and balances it for free (when I buy the tyre from them of course).
    Yes, I'm getting lazy. (although taking it off is a bastard of a job, the way I do it)

20. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That's not lazy!