1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HEL Performance braided brake lines for XJ900 31A

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Lars Wedøe, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Lars Wedøe

Lars Wedøe New Member

I'm trying to resurrect my dad's old '83 XJ900 31A, and brake lines is no longer up to par. Searched the internet and found a kit from steel braided brake lines from HEL Performance.

Does anyone have experience with these? Is it worth it?

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Yep, got them on my XJR. Quality. Go for it.

3. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Used them on my FZR1000 as well. Be aware that there are licensed re-sellers (or something like that) and the lines I got were great, but lacked the grommets that I would have expected on new lines. I think some Hel lines do come with the grommets, so ask questions.

4. Lars Wedøe

Lars Wedøe New Member

I found them from a eBay store in UK, since Hel doesn’t ship to Norway. As I understand it, Hel is Australian, so definitely a re-seller. Looks like a complete kit with all needed stuff.

(I can’t post a link, but if you search eBay for “hel brakeline xj900 1983”, you’ll find it at the seller called “Lightenupgrade”.)

5. dkavanagh

Ah, that was the seller I used!

6. Lars Wedøe

Lars Wedøe New Member

Cheers mate! I’ve sent them some questions. Let’s just wait and see what they reply.

Description states “All orders will have the necessary banjo bolts and copper washers supplied, although some fittings may have a different appearance to the OEM fittings they will fit.” To me, that sounds like everything should be included, but I’m not familiar with all the small pieces needed.

7. dkavanagh

My only issue is that these lines have a smaller diameter than the stock rubber ones and could use updated grommets. I split the grommets to remove them from my old lines and used them anyway. Not idea, but it works. I bring it up in case you can get the right ones and have a happier ending.

8. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

another thing to consider is the orientation of the banjo ends, as the lines wont twist, i got a set for my other xj600 about 6 years ago ,and the banjo ends swiveled around so they would fit any way around , but the set i got for this bike last month , the ends were fixed---?, and they were supposed to be the same?
    so , unless you specify the orientation , ask for the swivel ends
    stu

also , as above , ask for the grommets , if they are fitted ,they dont charge for them anyway

9. dkavanagh

fwiw, the Hel lines I got (last year), the ends were able to rotate. I didn't know that and was told by support (and confirmed by trying it).

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

XJ4EVER has the lines as well , and good prices as well.

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

May not be an issue in Norway, but in North American the swivel fittings are typically not DOT approved for street use, and thus if you state has rigorous inspections, you may not qualify for a sticker. I'm not familiar enough with the HEL lines to state all of the above with certainty, but I know that our supplier of lines and fittings cannot offer the DOT-approved-for-street-use hoses that use the adjustable fittings (those would be for "off-road use" only).

Jetfixer and dkavanagh like this.
  12. Lars Wedøe

Lars Wedøe New Member

Thanks guys! I'll surely need to ask if they rotate.

I've got an answer from the seller for my fist questions; The kit includes all necessary brass washers and stainless banjo bolts. The grommets can be fitted on request, as we don't find them to be as good fit as the original rubber grommets fitted to the factory lines.

They claim they are DOT, ADR, LTSA and TüV approved, so I'm more concerned that they don't rotate, rather than not being road legal.
    Funny thing is that although Norway has very strict rules, regulations and inspections (equivalent to MOT) for cars, there is very little restrictions or inspections for motor cycles.

13. bensalf

i test fitted the ones i got last month ,yesterday, and one of the ends was 90degrees out, but i managed to get a quarter twist in it ,without it curling, so thats ok

14. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Usually an adjustable wrench on the hose end and one on the banjo will allow rotating the banjo to any angle you need.

15. bensalf

cirtainly , would'nt advise dooing that, you would be stressing the swaged end of the hose, o_O

16. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Actually, this is from Galfer:
    Can your banjos be rotated?
    All Galfer fittings are what we refer to as Turn-to-Fit and can be rotated 360 degrees if required.

To prevent unnecessary movement at the connection point, determine how far the banjo will need to be rotated ahead of time. Next, identify the silver crimp collar on your line. It is the portion just below the banjo that holds the flex line in place. You will need to LIGHTLY hold this collar while rotating the banjo to prevent the line from twisting. Use a pair of vice grips on the LOWEST possible setting that will hold the collar. With the vice grips in place, insert a wood dowel, brass punch, or even a pen into the banjo and rotate it to the desired position.

If the line is already installed on the bike and you need to relieve tension or re-position it, you can simply hold the collar and rotate it slightly. Just be careful to rotate and NOT pry on the fitting.

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Most all braided lines are smaler than stock. I fail to understand why the supplied gromets are ever undersized since the factory gromet size is a known value.
    Len's lines have the correct size grommets.

Jetfixer likes this.
  18. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member