1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb boots from ebay.. Lesson learned

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mechanic1978, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

thought you all would get a laugh out of these.....dirty from hands, but never even installed once. Was mounting them, went to push cyl 4 vacuum cap on and one just sunk into boot...second was loose feeling, and was able to just slide right out of epoxy.....
    Anyone know of a quality set with vacuum port tubes that are threaded into mount base? I'm going to locate some threaded port tube in family's shop and use these cheapo's as Guinee pigs and tap the holes and red locktite. Let you know how it goes..... 20210704_143928.jpg 20210704_143918.jpg 20210704_143911.jpg 20210704_143902.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

another issue with them is the mfg process is poor when it comes to rubber compounds and some of them delaminate inside closing the hole.
    xj4ever.com sells the parts you want.

you are not the first to have the issue you have with the ports

k-moe likes this.
  3. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Honestly I'm just glad it happened out of the box, than 20 to 100 miles down the road...are the xj4ever.com one's have threaded tubes? Or at least pressed tubes w/barbs?

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you got the fancy adjustable ones, your so lucky

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

oem boots as far as I know.

He tried out these several years back has quite an interesting story on them and stopped selling them now selles oem.

if you still have your old ones you can clean them with carb spray then seal them up with black fuel resistant rtv. works well

you can use the junk ones for making a carb stand to wet set your carbs

6. Hollybrook

Hollybrook Member

I bought ones from xj4ever and the quality was great.

My old ones were not flat at the joint with the cylinders, leading to vacuum leaks.

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have used these , yes tubes came out , but was able to fix with JB weld . The trick is to let it cure 24 hours . Strange I bought some like these only they cost more and had no issues using them on my yellow seca so go figure.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

When they were purchaced matters. The first lot or so were good kit. After that they have become...less than useable.

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The repro manifolds that we sell are actually OEM (made by Aria for Yamaha) manifolds, same as you get in the Yamaha baggie, except that the original manifolds have the brass tube vulcanized to the manifolds itself via a small, square (perhaps 3mm x 3mm) "plug" where the tube exits the manifold body, as well as having a very tight press/friction-fit of the tube within the metal casting that forms the foundation of the manifold. The repro manifolds are missing this plug (and thus the vulcanization) and instead have some type of super-strong cement applied to retain the tube into the body of the manifold. We've sold thousands of these sets and never had a problem with the nipples pulling out. And we do recommend when you install the rubber vac caps onto the tube, that you use a lubricant (silicone grease works great) to facilitate ease of installation and removal, whether on repro manifolds or even the OEM ones.

k-moe and Jetfixer like this.