1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 750 Maxim and 1985 750 Maxim compatibility

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Uxbridge Brule, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I looked at the add.
    Neither are 1985 Maxims.
    I suspect 83 or 84 as 82 had the Atari dash panel, so yes they will be very compatible to your bike.
    Only you can decide if these offer any parts you need.
    Buy them for $800, take what you need and sell them on.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Definitely not 85s.

How many carb racks does the deal include? Just the one you can see?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

By the guages, the one with the green fuel tank is a 650.

5. Uxbridge Brule

Thanks for all the replys. I thought the the 1985 standard 750's looked alot more like the X and they looked more like what I have. I will go have a look if they don't sell by this weekend.
    k-moe is it just the tank that would make you believe it's a 650 or something else? In the add they mentioned that a 650 tank comes with it I was hoping they just sat it on for the picture.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Nope, it's an '83 or '84 XJ750 Maxim......note the dual discs on front, the tall grab bar, tank has no bracket for screw-on emblems, and the smooth, tubular rear shock-a-ma-thingies. 1983-84 XJ750 Maxim models (1984 is Canada only, and pretty rare, but it's identical to 1983 models) used the *same handlebars and gauge set as the 1980-84 XJ650 Maxim (actually, 1982-84 XJ650 Maxim, since it had an electric tacho). Also note 1984 XJ650 Maxim is also a Canada-only model, too.

*EDIT: note by "same" handlebars, I mean that they are quite similar in appearance to the XJ650 Maxim handlebars, but they are slightly different in bend angles, width, etc. But they have that same "roto-tiller" design and appearance as the 650 Maxim bars.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    k-moe likes this.
  7. Uxbridge Brule

The welth of knowledge and help on this site always blows me away.
    Sent a message to go see the bikes this weekend here's hoping they have a few parts I can scavenge.

Simmy likes this.
  8. Uxbridge Brule

Went and saw the bikes tonight had offered $600 because he only had one ownership guy said ok. The kid who was selling them wasn't there but his dad was, one was only good for a frame and a few bits the other looked better and I could have used some of the parts (exhaust tail light engine parts) or tried making one Frankenstein bike. I loaded up the bikes and asked for the ownership.... well the name on it was 3 owners ago. Unloaded the bikes bought a midnight Maxim rear mud guard for $20. He had Midnight Maxim rims and a few other bits could have looked odd but ok. The rear mud guard will be put to good use.