1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas smell in oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Glen F., May 4, 2021.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just to make things interesting, note that there is a mistake in the Haynes manual for these.

As noted at http://xj4ever.com/catalog/c-hitachi.html
    NOTE: the Haynes workshop manual for the XJ650 and XJ750 models has the incorrect placement noted for these air jets----the main air jet and pilot air jets are reversed in their picture and caption.

2. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

I understand they are air Jets, but having them backwards would that lead to more vacuum and draw too much gas?

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it might but the main thing is it causes the bike to not run
    is there a reason you ask?
    don't over think this just fix it

4. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

It's still drawing excess gas to the cylinders. The bike runs, but really rough. If I hit the throttle when syncing, it takes forever for it to come down and sometimes holds at 3000 or more.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

those jets might be your whole problem, with some long screwdrivers you should be able to fix it without pulling the rack
    those are really clean carbs, i'm jealous

Glen F. likes this.
  6. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Wow!!! Thanks for the compliment!!! The only thing I didn't do was boil then. I already had the rack off, so making the change wasn't that hard. Now to put them back in, hopefully for the last time. Thanks for your help!!!

7. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

@Polock is correct, those in the top only control the "Air" not fuel. fuel control "jets" will be located in carb base in the bowl.

If your external adjusting screws are located down low on the carb body, then they adjust "Pilot" Fuel.

If the external screw is up high on the carb base then it will adjust "Pilot" Air

ones in top side are for "Pilot" air
    and enrichment circuit.
    fuel in the diaphram area indicate too much airflo into this area sucking in fuel with it.
    (wrong jets in wron holes)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Glen F. likes this.
  8. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

That was the problem. Changed the plugs as well and it fired up right away. Guess it was pulling too much gas and that's why I couldn't color tune. Synced, color tuned and running fine!!!! Thank you to everyone who helped me out!!!

Huntchuks, Dan Gardner, Franz and 2 others like this.
  9. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Trying to upload a video of my bike running, but the file size is too large. Does anyone know what the maximum size is?

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Can you upload it to YouTube and put a link here?

Glen F. likes this.
  11. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

12. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Well I guess that wasn't the problem. Checked the oil level, and it's more than full and I know I left a little space in the window to check. Draining the gas from the tank and try to figure this out again.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Do the needle valve seats have copper washers? Do these need to be replaced or the old ones annealed and could this be causing the fuel to get into the crankcase? I am no carburettor expert lol but l wonder if this can be a cause. No this won't be it just read back, you got parts from Len.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Glen F. likes this.
  14. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Brand new ones from Len, so that's not the issue I'm sure. I only use his parts now!
    I just took the carbs off, and #2 exhaust boot was full of gas. All the intake boots have a little gas on the inside of them.

Franz likes this.
  15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is there anything on number 2 that looks different to the other three carburettors with the float bowls off. Are the needle clips fitted property. Not nit picking your work just trying to figure out what is the cause of this.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the only way that can happen is if the petcock isn't doing it's job
    if you take the valve seat out, your back to float levels again

Glen F. likes this.
  17. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

I just changed the petcock with parts from Len, unless I put it back together wrong. I'll take it off and take pictures.

18. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Attached Files:

19. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

@Glen F. at this point Im affraid you may have washed too much fuel into cam/crank bearings, I would drain all oil(and filter) refill oil and crank engine over without carbs or petcockvacume hose to ensure longevity of the bottom end.

Fuel thins the oil, and enables the crank and bearings to galge into each other causing striations and minute soft bearing fragments, that in turn galges even more resulting in bearing failure. and ultimately to a snapped rod/engine failure.

I only say this as your entire thread and testing has repeatedly dumped fuel into case. And just draining it does not replace the thined oil already in the oil passages of the crank/cam.
    the vent tube and petcock is only for hard accelleration ensuring the carb bowls do not run dry/low.
    for all your testing with your carb issues at idle and not in gear testing you do not need them.
    a worn out petcock diaphram will either allow full flow, or hardly none at all without the vacume pulses to operate it. this is why 90% of people use a seperate fuel tank supply as to bypass this. again its not needed for light sharp accelerations/and idle/syncing testing.

Franz and Glen F. like this.
  20. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

It's a newly rebuilt petcock.
    I will be changing the oil again, and turning the engine over without the carbs in as you say. I'll probably drain again and change after that. Changing the oil goes without saying.
    Getting to be a pro at taking these carbs off and oil changes. LOL
    I did put about 50 km last night, and when I got back there was no change to the oil level. Whatever happened, happened over night.

Mechanic1978 likes this.