1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Doing any Electrical repair?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mechanic1978, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Hey all, I've been using thei for years now when I build/repair any electrical harnesses, and thought id share it with you all. it is the (in my mind) ultimate way to finish a repair in wire harnesses.

when you wrap your wires with electrical tape, over time the adhesive softens and starts to ur wrap, especially if you pull it as you wrap it tight. it can seperate at sections leaving an entrance for water and moisture/debris.

I buy it in bulk at Napa auto parts, or online. I do build full custom harnesses often, I wrap the entire harness with it and if it needs to be period correct, I use a fabric tape to go over this.

Its' Self Fusing Silicone Tape. when you peel the backing off you will notice there is no adhesive.... thats the point, as you wrap it overlap it about 1/3rd the thickness of the tape and wrap it tight, pulling and stretching it as you wrap. when you stretch it, there is a chemical reaction that takes place from within the tape and it fuses it's self together, not to the wiring but only to it's self. so when you ever need to remove it it cuts easy and leavs no sticky residue. I saved the best part for last... It's 100% waterproof (as long as its wraped correctly)

it dosen't even fuse to regular black (electrical) tape, but will seal to it. once you use it you will never go back...

here is a link to get you a small sample roll for you to see if you like it. Any one doing regular electrical repairs will love it....I Promise! (but no guarantees, expressed, written or implied.... Lol)

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PTW7651987

Samsquamch likes this.
  2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Sounds great! except for the idiot link to access napaonline.com that doesn't let you through that wants to know if your a human by making you select buses and truck and... somesuch.
    Some good web developers on that site... NOT.
    Thanks for the info though.

3. Mechanic1978

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

5. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i wrapped my lawn mower handle with it and it didn't last too long. at work we wrapped cable connections on cell towers with it, good stuff. but not for lawn mowers
    thought about carb intake manifold repair but all i could get was gray

7. Mechanic1978

things ive used it for: Garden hose pinhole repair, fuel line on kids atv (short term fix to get back to truck)
    Radiator hose. and mostly for wiring. its one of those likw 1001 uses type of things lol

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Most hardware stores carry that stuff and say about an inch and a half wide it's great for a quick fix when a hole pops up in your water pipe in the house wrap that baby up stuff sticks together until you can get back to fix it properly

I don't know if the hardware stuff is automotive grade like the link you have to Amazon. From plumbing it's good stuff yet it never comes off till you cut it away

Mechanic1978 likes this.