1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is this about you?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Polock, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

2. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

I took the duals off my truck for this exact reason.

the way I see that situation.

1. I dont want to be the perverbal "ass" of the neighborhood, so "if" my property is broken into by a thief and a neighbor happens to bear witness, it will most likely end well for me if this neighbor is on my side. "that guy" lol bless his heart, just got robbed while the witness laughed.

and
    2. it's just all about respect, majority of the population has an understanding of these issues and abide by them, but then again there those guys that just cant comprehend the meaning of "respect thy neighbor".
    im sure if he had walked up to the man and friended him partly befor making a demand so publicly he might have worked with him. if I was approached in the manner he was, the result most likely would have been the same.

respect is not given, its earned...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

kind of odd because in the uk they have to get the bikes MOT certified , I think thats what its called.
    from what I understand it is very strict and has to be done before registration.

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  4. Mechanic1978

lol... the note did say it was "unregistered"

In the US, only a few states have the smog certification requirement. I'm in the so called "Racing Capitol of the World" so my state has the least restrictive smog requirements of any of them. bad for the enviroment, but great for racers...

5. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Yes we have to have bikes MOT'd , stands for Ministry of Transport test, unless the bike is over 40 years old and classed as a historic vehicle, but once the bike has a MOT it can be modified by removing the baffles or replacing the can and then re-fitting when the following years MOT is due. Of course if the law catch anyone offending then there are the options of fix the bike or get a fine and fix the bike, but the law has to catch an offender which isn't so easy.
    To be honest i really hate these tvvats with loud pipes and then there's the loud pipes save lives brigade, get real , loud pipes piss people off, learning how to ride properly saves lives, but i digress.

6. Mechanic1978

I have been on smooth running quiet bikes and loude ones on public roads I will take the loud ones first all day long,
    I was on highway once riding a coworkers goldwing I fixed for him (super quiet) headed to work about 6:45Am, and I was slowly passing a car, I was in the center lane of a 3 lane highway, car I was passing was on the left. he did not "see" me and was attempting to switch into my lane as I was approaching his front passengers door... he started to force me into another lane where there was an 18 wheeler truck.... I had to drop it a gear, and punch it to finish passing him, whilst turning my head in discust and giving him the finger,
    (once safe I turned again and made sure his eyes seen my finger again) as he could have easily switched lanes faster and never have given me the time to get out of the way.

if I was on my cbr (loud as all hell with full flow 2" exhaust and torque cones installed) im most certain he would have known I was there and waited for me to finish passing him. So Im a huge fan of "loud pipes save lives" ...mostly because its the straight up truth. People are not always looking for a motorcycle while driving, plus majority of US drivers are some road rage A$$ H%^#@... but I do show some respect to others as I would never start this bike up at 5:30am...

In the end, I just think he plain did not care period!

Hell I even wait till around 9am on saturdays to cut the grass, because I dont want to risk pissing off the neighbors with the mower... But I understand your frustration...

Minimutly likes this.
  7. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

So have I.

Anecdote for anecdote - I have been almost run off the road more times on my loud as hell XS with rusted out baffles than on the much quieter BMW.

Blessed are the believers.

Oblivious drivers are oblivious. People regularly manage to cross paths with trains and trucks that make more noise than any bike could.

Obliviousness is helped by the fact that soundproofing has been a selling point in cars for decades, and AC has been reliable enough for people to keep windows closed for a while, too.

A guy rear-ended me and my buddy at the same time. We were TWO bikes, right in front of him, for like 5 miles. There is no way he could not have known we were there. My bike at the time was an FJ1200 with a V&H pipe, pretty loud.

If the bike is your transportation, you start it when you have to go somewhere.

Stumplifter and Mechanic1978 like this.
  8. Mechanic1978

@JPaganel said, "If the bike is your transportation, you start it when you have to go somewhere".

-CP Forged dual dished pistons, 13.5:1 compression

-Carrillo Billet 4340 forged "H" stroker connecting rods sc 28

-Ferrea 27.5mm Stainless in/ex Valves

-HD Precision Valve springs

-hotcams stage 2- 264 degree high lift racing cams

-Fully polished and undercut transmission gears 1 thru 6

-EBC kevlar clutch pack

-Barnette HD clutch springs

-Dyno jet stage 2 jet kit

-secondary electric high flow fuel pump with throttle actuation, set for ¾ throttle

-4 to 1 2 7/8” full austentic stainless header, custom stainless end pipe

-Modified high flow oil pump

this is not a daily rider by any means, even the loping idle, is loud as hell...But I get your point

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Just last week a car driver decided to “share” my lane. He both saw and heard me. Didn’t change his mind one bit, so I goosed it to get in front of him (the only route that lead to safety). He was even so bold as to cuss me out at the next stoplight.

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

A true winner. Is beating a person to within an inch of their life legal in your state?

11. XJ550H

For those who believe loud pipe save lives.
    I'd like you to try an experiment go park your car on the side of the road roll up your window and turn on your radio. Then have a friend with loud as hell bike driving towards you from behind and when you hear him hit your horn you're going to be surprised at his location when you finally hear him. Then have him come directly towards you with his loud pipes look down at the floor of your car and again when you hear him look up. It is often referred to as the Doppler effect, I had this experience with a train fishing on the side of the tracks never heard the thing coming till it was about 30 ft from me and when it went by it was roaring. I do the same thing in my car without looking at the floor of course .when I see motorcycles coming towards me just for s**** and giggles I see how close they get to me before I can actually hear their loud pipes. It ain't saving nobody's life nobody.

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. XJ550H

We have a law in my state against impeding a motorcycles travel or impeding his motorcycle travel Lane. Problem is being right and being dead it's just not a fun thing.
    In my state if somebody steals something from you and you catch them in the ACT while they have possession of what they stole from you you get to beat the hell out of them until you get your property back. I wonder if that would apply to my sanity he stole my sanity by cutting me off and wouldn't give it back until I pummeled his face into the pavement then I finally retrieved my sanity from him officer

13. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Heh. I was on that loud bike with no baffles a few years ago. A 50-ish woman in a Mercedes station wagon passed me on an entrance ramp that was an almost complete circle, flipped me off, and took off weaving through traffic.

14. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You should have kicked his door @k-moe...

k-moe likes this.
  15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That would have just resulted in either a hurt ankle, a fistfight, an insurance claim, and/or a police record. Not worth the effort.
    Though I would have legally been entitled to shoot him had I been carrying at the time.
    (Let's not let my commment become a political debate. I just find it frustrating that people do dumb things on purpose).

16. Mechanic1978

I dont leave the house without my CC on my hip.. :)

17. Scott I

Scott I Member

Yes yes, I'm a quiet pipes and smooth running no bone shaker motor kind of guy! I enjoy hearing a quiet well tuned smooth running bike ride by. Even Harley's can be quiet and relatively smooth running.