1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted to see inside the rectifier/regulator

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hand, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Hand

Hand New Member

When I bought the bike it came with one on it and one in a box. Both did nothing for charging the battery. Asked yamaha how much they said 200 bucks(Canadian). Order one for 50 bucks off Amazon from China. Guess what, doesn't work.

I cleaned that stator made sure the resistance is in spec with the manual, new windings put in, new battery bought. Checked the diodes and found that they were either shorted or open when they wernt supposed to be. Tried all three rec/ regs and nothing. Sent the one back and ordered another just for the hell of it but I think I'll talk to xj 4 ever or maybe someone wants to Sell me a good one.

So anyways I destroyed the 2 that came with the bike and found 2 wires in both of them not even connected to anything.

Attached Files:

2. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Make sure you mount the new one to a flat metal area on the frame, and in better than OEM location. most common reason for an oem to fail is (shitty location) poor cooling, (not enough air passing over it) and they overheat, melting the inside.

Franz likes this.
  3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

New windings put in - what does that mean?

The regulators are extremely reliable, the odds of having three defective is not very likely. It might be time to get some help on your testing methods.

hogfiddles, k-moe and Mechanic1978 like this.
  4. Hand

Hand New Member

I'm assuming the po fried the original one and did the same thing I did, order shitty ones from China off Amazon.

New windings are around the stator. Many coils of wire wrapped together and thats how you get you AC voltage to the rectifier. It's whats connected to the 3 white wires

Think my testing is good been and electrician for a while now. But you never know I could be over looking something 12 volts DC isn't something I always work with.

The 2 I ripped apart both had wires that were not connected to anything.

Thanks for the tip Mechanic1978 I'll mount the new one on the outside of the fitted ammo box instead of the inside. Thought with that big of a heat sink it wouldn't have mattered

k-moe likes this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

You could have a bad rotor , the shellac after so many years can break down. Once I bought an 82 CB750 Custom with 4500 original miles . (Never should have sold it) riding it home and battery went dead , no charging....replaced battery...no help bought a used voltage regulator..no help . Was going to replace stator went to Cycle Recyle part 2 , told owner what was happening....he told me replace rotor bought a new one from him and put it in charging at 13v . He explained that the windings in the rotor , the shellac breaks down and can cause a no charging condition.

Franz, k-moe and chacal like this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The OEM location provides enough cooling. The heatsink doesn't need a breeze to do its job; just access to air. The OP's problem is that he bought crappy product.

7. Hand

Hand New Member

You got it K-moe.

I said before the parts don't even have some wires connected. It was more of a don't bye crap post

hogfiddles and k-moe like this.