1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb kits

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jerry57g, Jul 29, 2021.

1. jerry57g

jerry57g New Member

S0 I bought a set of 4 carb rebuild kits. Got it and most of the stuff fits, BUT it came with a total of 24 main jets #122 and 4 pilots #42. Trouble is, the carbs I have, have #120 and #40 in them. These are factory stuff as the bike only has a total of 4340 miles on it. The trouble I'm having is finding the right size. I'm thinking of using them so anyone know how much difference 122/42 vs 120/40 would make? Or should I just try them.
    The oooolllldddd plugs look like they might be a little rich.
    Oh Yeah, nothing smells as bad as a set of carbs that have been sitting since 1993 full of at one time I think was gas!!! Can't even get the smell off of my hand even using the orange borax stuff and the clothes I had on are outside the back door. Ack! Any help??

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

hogfiddles and cgutz like this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

read this
    http://xjbikes.wikidot.com/carb-specs

you will find same bike in different countries have different jets
    US and Canada have different size jets

bigger jets would be lower gas milage

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The #122 main jets will be okay; the stock size was #120 and these bikes were jetted a little lean from the factory to begin with (EPA emissions issues, etc.). The #42's are a little large, but you can get away with those too (Canadian model XJ750's, an otherwise identical bike, used #43 pilot fuel jets), and since the pilot fuel circuit has quite a bit of adjustability to it via the mixture screw, you can always dial it in to a good performance/mileage compromise.

5. jerry57g

jerry57g New Member

I think that a big part of the issues is the old fuel being still in the passages even after a good cleaning. I'll clean them again put in the new jets and go from there.

6. jerry57g

jerry57g New Member

Pulled the carbs, cleaned them probably one of the issues I had was I mixed up the pilot/mains on the top of the carb under the diaphragms. Put in the new jets after input from here. Just waiting on the new stuff for the plugs. mixing up those two jets probably were the issue as the bike would start with just a quick push of the button but then die. Also when I first started it it blew smoked alot. I put a little Seafoam in the oil and poof no more smoke. I'll get it running and up to temp a couple of times change the oil/filter then should be good to go. The bike is in really good shape so I'm itching to ride it. Its got 4340 miles on it and been sitting since 93'. The oil I drained was probably what it left the shop with circa 1982ish.

7. jerry57g

jerry57g New Member

Sooo, When you get ALL the fiddly-bits back in the right place the bike runs GREAT.

k-moe, Jetfixer and chacal like this.