1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to install new plug wires - '81 xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ-Kirk, Aug 2, 2021.

1. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

I bought some red plug wires. What is the proper way to install them since the original wires are part of the coils? Can I cut, solder & seal? I looked for a thread on this...

plug wires.jpg

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We carry a spark plug wire SPLICER that allows you to join new wire to old wire. Typically, you'll cut the old wire off of the stock coil just where it exits the coil body (leaving about a 1" stud of wire, then use the splicer to join the new wire to the old "stub" section.

pw1) Aftermarket NGK-brand SPARK PLUG WIRE SPLICER. This handy little device allows you to cut off a bad original plug wire and splice in a replacement piece, which is really handy, since the plug wires on the original factory coils are basically non-replaceable......so if a plug wire goes bad, unless you are willing to perform "coil surgery", then the whole coil is junk!

This plug wire splicer or "joiner" allows you to extend or replace a damaged or bad plug wire, just like you would splice into a piece of electrical wire. The watertight, screw-on design is made from a high-impact plastic material and adds no resistance (0 ohms) to the circuit. Will accept either 7mm or 8mm plug wire (but no larger).....meaning you can also use this to splice original 7mm plug wires to aftermarket 8mm wires. A very handy and practical solution!

HCP2789 Aftermarket SPARK PLUG WIRE SPLICER, fits up to 8mm plug wire. Each:

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

^^ thats how to do it unless you want to lay out some cash for new coils that the wires can be replaced on.

4. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

So, I'm not trying to be cheap but I thought soldering them together would be a very good connection. Am I wrong?

5. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Even if you could strip back some insulation and solder the wires, you would end up with a very weak spot with no insulation. No, heat shrink will not replace the original insulation.

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member