1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New rider! This is my first bike ever

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Zachary Girard, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Zachary Girard

Zachary Girard New Member

Hey everyone!

My names Zack, I live in southern Ontario, Canada. I just got my moto license. My girlfriends dad had a 1985 XJ750 he was going to sell me but ended up giving it to me free of a charge because it needed some work. Super pumped I found this website. Im looking forward to getting her road worthy! I've already written down some cool ideas from some of the stuff I've seen on here.

If anybody has any recommendations right off the bat, I'd love some input! Im new to the whole moto world and the XJ world.

Thanks!

-Zack

Attached Files:

jayrodoh likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Read This First

Start by getting her to run perfectly in stock condition if she isn't already.
    Mods are the bane of the new rider.

Also, you have the powerhouse of the XJ line. A 5-valve sportbike in sheep's clothing. Be careful. She's by no means a beginners bike.

StarGeneral likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Oh yeah, those things are the XJ hotrod!

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

She is a rare bird in that condition. Don’t mess it up by “bobing” it. Faster than almost any modern 750-800cc cruisers. Top speed north of 200 kph. I had one for a short time 2 years ago and it was fun to roast the rear or loft the front tire.

Attached Files:

k-moe likes this.
  5. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Cool, another X owner! I'm sure you're gonna love this little rocked. Above 7500 rpm you better hold on to that handle bars! Especially because it's a 750 and not a 700. But above all be careful until you've got more driving experience.

6. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Another fun website is maxim-x.com, lots of info and magazine articles about the X.

7. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Hey man, I'm pretty new too. I started on these forums last year in much the same situation as you (new rider, just got a cheap XJ that I thought didn't need a lot of work, but oh boy did it, never worked on motorcycles before). Fast forward a year later and I basically rebuilt my entire bike...

Slow down, take your time with this stuff. Pay attention to what these guys say even if it doesn't line up with what you think - they've been doing it a lot longer than us. Also don't cheap out on your parts - you can get away with some things on cars that'll kill you on a motorcycle when it comes to "precision wrenching". Welcome aboard!

Uxbridge Brule and k-moe like this.