1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Removing the “Atari” for more traditional gauges

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Aaron Filmer, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Aaron Filmer

Aaron Filmer New Member

As the title said I am looking to remove the “Atari” from my 1982 xj750j and go with just the round gauges.
    I have read that the round cluster from the 83 xj750 will work but my question is is it just plug and play ? Or are there modifications that need to be done ?

How do you identify a true 83 gauge cluster? searching the web multiply different pictures come up claiming to be 83 clusters.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Aaron Filmer

Aaron Filmer New Member

Will the standard connectors from the 650 just plug in? I understand for the computers sake I have to do the jumper wires but are the actual plastic connectors the same or do I have to replace all them ?

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No, you'll have to mostly replace them, and you'll also need a wiring diagram from both the '82 XJ750 Maxim and the '83 XJ750 Maxim (or '82-3 XJ650 Maxim) to work out the differences in the wiring, terminals, etc. The research is going to take quite a bit of time; we did this for someone who wanted the same change on their XJ750 Seca cluster and it was a LOT of effort (not so much the harness(es) themselves, but the research to make it all work correctly). Don't forget things like: the '82 XJ750 uses an oil level sensor that works (and thus signals) "opposite" the way that a non-computer sensor does, so you'll also need a non-computer oil level sensor, etc. etc.

Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I’m pretty sure that you just need to swap around two wires for the oil sensor to read correctly with the other gauges. I could be wrong though.