1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas Leak

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ribo, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Hi folk,

I'm in the process of getting the Maxim back in shape and it seems like I have a gas leak.

I thought it was this hose but it seems like perhaps it's coming from the carb - is this possible, any advice/thoughts. I'm wondering if there's a better option than this kind of hose clamp to make this hose connection more trustable?

The bike is on a lift right now without gas tank so this was performed using an external tank aka without the vacuum hose attached.

..and yes I still need to rebuild these carbs at some point, I guess this might force me into it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hvEan08Q4ZBTTdIVF3qda8QfkccORAdt/view?usp=sharing

2. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Yo! Alright, so all I'm seeing here is the wrong type of fuel line clamp. Yes, it matters - and the type of clamp you are using will cause a leak. Ask me how I know :D I would honestly run the appropriate fuel line as well and then attach your aux gas tank to a nipple or adapter, because the inner diameter of the one you've got on there might be too big - that seems like a substantial leak (I can literally see the flow of fuel moving down the bowl).

That being said, it could be the fuel rail o-ring is shot. It seemed like when you moved the nipple, it leaked more, however the setup you have now I would say is pretty much guaranteed to leak. Fix what I said above first, and if it still leaks then you're probably going to need to rebuild your carbs.

3. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Thanks man, Yeah I know it's not legit on the tubing or the clamp - it was a hack a long time ago that I guess I should have fixed but it has however been working for a long time without leaking.

Clearly the right thing to do is replace the tubing and the clamp and go from there but I'll order the o-ring as well.

4. stfano

stfano New Member

You definitely want to change the T shaped junction. When I rebuilt my carbs mine had a visible crack in the plastic. Hope you can find an aftermarket replacement 'cause OEM part is expensive.
    Rebuild you carbs and don't think about it anymore ;)

5. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Is the OEM one made out of plastic? Mine is made out of brass it seems.