1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sorry I'm brand new here with some questions about XJ600/FJ600

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dave B, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Dave B

Dave B New Member

Hello I'm brand new here. 3 rambling questions please:

My Big Summed-Up 3-part Question:
    Have just found xj4ever and it's very populated with info and very thorough; although, I'm have trouble locating "my bike" and locating what part # the stock coils should be? Wiki says "The XJ600 was built from 1984 until 1991, when it was replaced with the Yamaha Diversion/Seca II. In North America, the bike was sold as the FJ600."

a. I'm in Canada, and assume the '89 FJ600 I just picked up has always been (speedo in KM/h).
    VIN is: J Y A 3 R C N 0 4 K A 0 0 0 _ _ (+ two digits, not sure I should post them?)
    Manufacture Date: 12 / 88 (1989)
    ENGINE stamp is: 3 R C - 0 0 0 1 2 2 assuming 3 R C in VIN & Engine# is not coincidence?

b. What can you tell me about this bike? In the xj4ever ignition section, it often says "all FJ" and other times 1984-85 FJ600 - does my 1989 FJ600 fall under "all FJ600"? The Clymer manual I have lists on the front XJ550, XJ600 & FJ600 - 1981-1992. However on the back it lists XJ600 (1984-1987 and 1989-1992 U.K.) FJ600 (1984-1985). Why does it say UK for the 89-92 XJ600 ?
    Weren't these sold in North America as the FJ600? When I look at the electrical diagrams in the Clymer manual, I don't even find one with 3-wire front signals (like mine). Just 2-wires.

c. COILS? What is the model # on the stock coils for this bike? I've not taken the gas tank off to read what's there now, unsure if original or replaced. On eBay I found a coil for #2 & #3 with model # CM12-33 12V 2XL-10. I also found a set (2) supposedly for an FZ which look the same, with the same connectors and wire colors, but model # CM12-23 12V 33M-60. What might be the difference and could either coil(s) be used on the 1989 FJ600 ?
    Thanks! Dave

2. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Dave B and Franz like this.
  3. Dave B

Dave B New Member

Thank you very much Toyobaru866 . Much appreciated! I'll contact Chacal as you suggest.

Toyobaru866 likes this.
  4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Unfortunately we have next to zero info about this model bike......I didn't know that an FJ600 was available in Canada in 1988-89. And I have no info on a 3RCN model bike. Perhaps @Toomanybikes (Dave) might have more insights, as he is located in PNW and sees or has seen just about all of the Canadian specialty models.

Dave B likes this.
  5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I do know the later FJ600's which came to Canada had a bulge on the cover over the ignition pick-up coils (oil pump cover).
    This suggests there is something different in the pick-up coils not sure what this suggests about the HT coils.
    You can see what I'm referring to in this pic
    Yamaha-XJ-600-1989-photo.jpg

Dave B likes this.
  6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

There were three primary versions of ignitions from 1979 onward. One was purely an electronic, non-advancing ignition that used mechanical advance on the crank to do the ignition timing. And these were about 1979 to the early 80's on some models.

1980 to 1987 gave us analog advancing models. No mechanical advance. Two pick up coils.

The 1988 onward they were digital units. Which means, that they just had one pickup coil.

You can verify by looking at the code on the TCI unit itself; The FJ600 and XJ600 can both have a TID14-31 (analog) and models with that TCI ran from approximately 1984 to 1991. This was an exception of running an analog box into the ‘90s.

The TID14-78 is a DIGITAL TCI and had an overlap of years dependent upon the country they were sold in. Went from 1987.-onwards in most markets.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Dave B likes this.
  7. Dave B

Dave B New Member

Thanks Simmy. By bulge do you mean the pointed outcropping of the YAMAHA cover? My manual for '84 and later has that as the alternator cover/coil assembly and the outcropping houses the ignition pickup coil assembly. My 89 FJ600 looks exactly like that one, including the absence of the lower fairing. And of course mine is marked FJ not XJ.

Attached Files:

8. Dave B

Dave B New Member

I have the digital TID14-78 with this Canadian '89 FJ600. The Clymer manual addresses UK versions of the XJ600 from '89-'92, perhaps they are similar to the FJ600 in Canada.
    The one thing I noticed in the Clymer manual is ALL the electrical diagrams only have 2-wire front flashers; whereas my FJ600 has 3-wire front flashers (the front flashers are also running lights - with 2 filaments; the rear flashers are 2-wire - single filament turn signals only). I don't know if this is a Canadian-only difference.