1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

!983 Seca 900 oil drain?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bob C, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Bob C

Bob C New Member

Just started working on my "New to Me" Seca 900. First step is to change the oil. Both the owners manual and the on-line service manual show the oil drain plug below and to the right (forward looking aft) of the oil filter housing. Coulldn't get much simpler...exxcept my bike doesn't have a oil drain plug in this location! Was there a mid-year production change or some other item? Anybody know of an alternate location for the oil drain? (There is a phillips head screw slightly to the left of center Is this it?). I suppose I could just drain it from the filter housing but don't know how much residual oil would be left inside. Any suggestions?

I will try to attach a picture.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi @Bob C ! Welcome to the party.

That bolt that has the phillips (JIS actually) head screw in the middle of it it is actually the drain plug. I think its 19mm, but I'm not certain, something like that.

I think the cross head screw in the middle of the plug has to do with the magnet in the plug.

hogfiddles likes this.
  3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  4. Bob C

Bob C New Member

Thank you:

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Dan is correct..... the drain plug is right there with the JIS right in the center of it.
    Bob, where are you in upstate NY? I’m just below Utica and have more 900’s than probably anyone else on this list. I need to get some registry info from you, too.

dave fox