1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 versus Sportster

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by neonjoe123, Feb 10, 2008.

?

Who's gonna be faster?

1. XJ700 Maxim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Harley Sportster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. neonjoe123

neonjoe123 New Member

Hey everyone haven't been on here for awhile so here goes:

My college friend and I are arguing over who's bike is faster. I have a 1985 XJ700 which is completely stock. My friend has a 2001 Harley sportster with the 1200 conversion.

I'm sure you guys know the specs on the maxim.

The Sportster has 65 ft-lbs of torque @ 4200 and 65hp @ 6000, it redlines at 6500. The bike weighs about 490 and in first gear it redlines @ 40mph.
    Both my friend and I weigh the same weight are about equally skilled at riding.

Who do you think will run a faster quarter mile???

Oh and this spring/summer we are planning on going on out to the drag strip and settle it.

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The maximum torque on my 650 is 31.8 lb-ft at 8Krpm. Don't have the number for the 700, but seems likely to be less than 40.

He'll be putting out that much torque just off idle. He should pull away easily, only question is if you can catch him late in the run. I suspect you'll see his taillight the whole way.

3. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

I think racing a Harley voids the warranty :mrgreen:

4. Altus

Altus Active Member

He's got torque and horsepower on his side, and the only thing you have is a slightly lighter weight -- looks like you'd be losing that one

5. blackdiscoball

blackdiscoball Member

...if the harley doesnt break down...

6. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

If I understand the specs correctly, the XJ700 produces 86hp at 9500 RPM. Torque is ~50 ft-lb at 8K RPM.

So.. if you keep it near redline, you might have a chance.

7. fonz

fonz Member

my brother has an 84 Sportster, i think its the 1200. i know ill lose but once his is all back together were gonna see how the 550 Seca holds up to it.

8. danno

danno Member

Having owned both an '82 Maxim 750 and a '00 Sportster 1200,I can tell you that the 1200 will be quicker of the line,but after about 110 mph,the Harley's show is over. If your friend has the reverse dome Wiseco conversion (no head modifictions needed),I would say you have it in the bag. If he used the Buell upgrade,I would be inclined to believe that you have your work cut out for you.

9. neonjoe123

neonjoe123 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys!!

10. danno

danno Member

If your brother's Sporty is an '84,it is a 1000,and it is an ironhead.Harley 1200 Sportsters are powered by the Evolution engine design.And don't discount your Seca,those 550s are little screamers!

11. fonz

fonz Member

I have heard him mention something about it being an Ironhead. at first i couldnt keep track between him and his friends, ones got a 62 Panhead another has a flathead and then this ones got a shovelhead. im sure there will be a few chances to see how the Seca and Sportster match up this summer.

12. MAX-X

MAX-X Member

Just my 2 cents, My buddy has a 2005 Sporster 1200 & we were horsing around, he took off on me, by the time I was winding out 3rd going into 4th he was in my mirror, & a little disapointed that an old 700 whipped his new 1200

13. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You could win if your bike is tuned razor sharp. You'd have to have the Pilot Mixtures set a shade Lean for Maximum Acceleration.

You'd probably lose the hole shot. He have the torque to get his weight moving faster.
    But once you get that 700 over to the right hand side of the tach ... you'd have to keep it there and not miss a shift.

You'd be Redlining ... but, your Red-lined Bike would be pulling a lot less weight ... so, in terms of HP -to- Weight Ratio ... you'd have a factor that would keep you in the photograph instead of getting your side covers blown off.

I go "Hunting" Sportsters and Buells on the weekends with my 900.
    I have the the Rev-limiter set at 87-50; but I turn it off on Sunday!!!
    When I'm up in New Hampshire where it seems like you never stop going uphill; I always "Play" with the Harley Boys.
    I drop it from 5th into a Matched-revving 3rd and then just twist it wide open until the bike gets close to 11,000 revs ... uphill!
    That's enough to make the 900 stay within the top of its power curve and put the V-Twins close to blow-up on their tachs.

Once they figure out that the Inline-4 can out-rev them and match them for
    the uphill accelerations ... they just usually let me go.

Race him uphill and you got a shot at winning.
    But, don't run for "Slips"
    You never know when you'll meet a guy with aftermarket Cams!!!

14. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

I ride a XJ750X and I've embarrassed more than a few HD's in the past... That's not to say that I have been dusted a couple of times by guys with a little something extra "under the hood".

My advice will echo everyone else's: Launch hard and keep the revs up in the 7-10k range.

15. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

I agrre with the guys, keep the revs up, and hit her hard off the get go. Should be a pretty even race at the end. Good luck!
    Mac

16. yamyboy

yamyboy Member

NOS is fun LOL buld a NOS bike it wont last 2 long and you will have 2 fix it all the time but youll beat the pants off him if you dont blow up first

17. cruzerjd

cruzerjd Member

Yeah.... lets see, stock XJ700, 1/4 mile at about 12.6 @105, Sportster 1200 1/4 mile of 13.5 @ 95. Thats the new sportster too. Older bike amy be slower. If you can't beat that go home and practice. Hole shot the hog rider than rev the piss out of it. I can run even with a S&S motor Harley big twin with my 650 Seca. He has 95 hp and gobs of torque, but not much top end and a ton of weight against him. I have to rev it a bit and keep it above 6000 rpm's though.

18. RickCoMatic

Lean over that tank ... keep your wind resistance down low ... leave your tool kit, wallet and comb with a friend.

Wind-up the XJ and get-on-it!

Don't look back ... just keep your eyes peeking over the instruments and go for the ride of your life.

Don't forget to check the oil. Don't be running those high revs with anything but a full peek-a-boo window full of oil!

19. danno

danno Member

Good advice,Rick. But you forgot 2 other weight saving procedures;
    1) Get a haircut.
    2) Don't wear any underwear. (There is a good chance you'll soil them,anyway.)

20. RickCoMatic

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Yea, right. And if a cop stops you get off the bike and fake having a seizure until the ambulance gets there ...

He might forget the ticket and think he's got to save your life !!!