1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CNYCC#14 - June 12, 2021

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by hogfiddles, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

As usual, I’m last to post… due to some unfortunate circumstances (to say the least) I’ve been a bit preoccupied and additionally engaged in other initiatives. The good news is that I wrote all that you’re about to read BEFORE my current situation so I’m just now getting a chance to copy/paste/post pics… I’m glad I put “pen to paper” when things were clear…

Here are my thoughts from Mid June…

Hello all. I was hoping that this year would be a good “copy” of last year’s trip (minus the cold temps of course) and indeed it did not disappoint. I set out on Friday morning around 9am for my slow tow north. It was a bit overcast, but the rain held out and at @Saftie’s suggestion I stopped at “Dairy Land” on Rte 20 as I closed in on my last 60-ish miles from the Carb Clinic Grounds.

01-kid-icecream.jpg

02-sign.jpg

03-truck.jpg
    A nice walk-up eatery with good food. You’ll know you’ve found it when you see the neon tongued child licking the giant ice cream cone on the roof! Safe to say, you really can’t miss this place.

04-sandwich.jpg
    I had the philly cheese steak sub with a side of fries that was waaaay too large for 1 person.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

05-red-and-truck.jpg
    As posted above, I was the first one to Dave… even before Dave! As I was taking my gear out of the back of the truck it occurred to me how tranquil it was there. No shushing of cars, no horn honking or other chatter. Just the sound of insects and birds. Amazing. By no means do I live in the city, but I truly appreciated that experience and how different it really is from where I hail from. After putting up my work tent, and pulling “Red” down off the trailer, Dave arrived and we continued to work on the set up… Icing soft drinks, putting tables and chairs out as well as other odds and ends. Had the chance to marvel at some of Dave’s collection of bikes as well...

06-field.jpg

07-footbridge.jpg
    The beautiful field, foot bridge and stream next to the Carb Clinic Grounds...

08-red-packed.jpg
    I packed a small subset of my stuff and headed off (about 23 miles south) to the Super 8 in Norwich, NY for the night.

When I woke up, it was raining. Though Red was under a cover, I was not looking forward to the ride in the rain to get back to Dave’s… especially without rain gear! I decided to hold out another half hour. Dave texted me saying that Blue Skies are coming from the north… so I headed out.

09-blue-sky.jpg
    Sure enough, when I arrived, there was the blue rolling in!!!

TheCrazyGnat, hogfiddles and Franz like this.
  3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

10-red-under-tent.jpg
    Under my tent I went and got right to work… Though the pictures might not show it, the property is not exactly flat… in fact just the opposite!

11-shim-that-girl.jpg
    Leveling things was not easy, though necessary if you want to make sure your fluid levels are correct.

12-oil-filter.jpg
    I let the oil drop for a while and then installed one of Len’s spin on oil filter kits...Sweet!
    While I was all leveled, I also dropped and replaced the final drive oil as well!

13-ken-on-fender.jpg

14-three-stooges.JPG
    Around 11:30 or so, Ken arrived. We made quick work of getting his bike under the tent and front forks removed. Half way through the fork seal replacement we stopped for lunch...mmmm

TheCrazyGnat and hogfiddles like this.
  4. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

15-just-bikes.jpg
    A great line up!

16-group-pic.jpg
    An even better line up!

After the group ride, I said my goodbyes and headed back out to Norwich for the night.

5. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

The next day and trip to Lake George brought more beautiful weather. I can not stress enough how much I appreciate this trip. The landscape is so brilliant and imbued with color… Long stretches of farmland filled with crops, still short enough to see the earth between the rows. Where left to grow naturally, it’s peppered with wild flowers. There were swaths of purples and whites along much of the roadsides.

17-flowers.jpg
    Anyone know the name of this?

18-howe.jpg
    This leg of the journey took me along Rte 88 along Howe Caverns and on through Cooperstown. When I was there last year it was quite depressing. A ghost town of sorts in fact. No kids… No baseball… Not ANYTHING really… This year, around one bend in the road I came across the Cooperstown All Star Village. This baseball training camp for kids was closed and dark last year…

19-ballpark01.jpg 20-ballpark02.jpg
    Now it was alive with activity… One crack of the bat after another! I stopped to grab this picture. Good to see the kids back on the field.

6. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

In Lake George, the weather was just as good. I took three separate rides in different directions. Stopping for Lunch on one trip, then dinner on another.

21-lonly-xj.jpg
    Lonely XJ in the MC parking lot!

22-lake.jpg
    23-cup.jpg
    Something special about this place.

24-truck.jpg
    The morning brought quite the downpour… But it was time to leave so I guess it was ok…

There were times on RTE 87 heading south that I considered pulling over because the wipers just could not keep the windshield clear with the amount of rain coming down.

25-truck-off-trailer.jpg
    Home now. A little soggy but we made it. A big thanks once again to Dave for hosting and to all the great memories that everyone in attendance contributed to.

7. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Once again, thanks for the corn on the cob (and steak).

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

“Ooooh oooooohh- I know!! I know!!!!!! Pick me! Pick me!! ME!!!! PICK ME!!!!!!!” Says the kid in the back row jumping up and down, waving his hand in the air frantically.......

it is called “Dame’s Rocket”. It grows rampantly up here, and can be white, pink, lavender, purple, and almost always blended together for absolutely gorgeous coloring across wide areas.

dfox

9. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Nuch,
    Thanks for the story-line (and pictures) of you adventure.
    Also, our "helmets" are off to you for the great food we all enjoyed.

Glad I made the trip again once again to gather with all of the other XJbikes enthusiasts, and I look forward to getting to as many clinics that I can attend in the future.

Tony

TheCrazyGnat and hogfiddles like this.
  10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

So for planning——
    CNYCC#15 is scheduled for June 11, 2022

I’ll make a new forum for it :)

dfox

TheCrazyGnat and XJ Nine Hundred like this.
  11. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Looking forward to it brother. I`ll be there come hell or high water, i`ll see you there! ;)