1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1&4 exhaust cooler then 2&3

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Zranger, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Zranger

Zranger New Member

82 Maxim 750. I have never really done anything but cosmetics and a few electrical fixes like fuse box upgrade. I hardly ever ride the bike much anymore. Charged battery and started it up but cylinders 1&4 run much cooler then 2&3. I have spark on 1&4 I can feel it in my hand when pulling the wires of the plug. Do you think I have a coil issue or fuel supply from carbs. Never cleaned the carbs and really don’t have the experience to do so. In upstate SC if anyone is interested it helping out/ making a few buck or as a last resort buying this bike.
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Zranger

Zranger New Member

Update to my post. Started the bike had to choke it all the way and leave it on for quite some time. Took the bike out on the road initial mile or two spit in sputtered and then it finally felt like it caught and ran fairly well. Got home check temperatures of exhaust pipes they all seem to vary. One and four still seem cooler than two and three.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

2 and 3 cylinders run hotter than 1 and 4 . due to center location.

have not ridden it much may want to siphon out the fuel and replace with new fuel.

you may need to clean the choke/enrichment wells in the carb bowls.

next would be to consider cleaning the pilot jet circuit in each carb.
    running carb cleaner in bike may help.
    if bike is not ridden often you will want to add fuel stablizer or consider running non ethonol fuel.