1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Winterization

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

It is a sad time for us in the great mid west putting our pride and joy away for the winter . This is my usual process sure others have their own.
    1. Change oil and filter.
    2. Fill tank with fresh fuel ( preferable if you can find it non ethonol fuel).
    3. I use a 50/50 mix of stabil and Marvel Mystry oil 10oz of each..the oil keeps tank from rusting.
    4. Air tires up to proper pressure .
    5. Wash and wax bike .
    6. I put my bike on the center stand .
    7. Put something in the exhaust pipe in a pinch paper towel, just Remember to remove before starting .
    8. Hook up a battery tender , before doing so make sure battery is fully charged and level is full.
    9. Make sure master cylinder is full and fluid is fresh .
    10. Every couple of weeks cycle the brake lever ....this will move fluid and hopefully keep the fluid from gumming up in caliper.
    11. Check all the lights ...simple but will need checked in spring .
    12. If you have one cover bike up , in a pinch a large blanket or couple of large towels will do in a pinch.
    13. I usually start bike up at least once a month letting bike heat up for about 15 minutes.
    14. Another thing you could pull the fuel line off of petcock, drain the float bowl and pour some of the 50/50 mix down fuel line , this ensures fuel is not in carb . But you will have to drain the bowls when you start it up .

These are a few of the things I do to winterize cheers .

Franz likes this.
  2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Step 13 is always a questionable. Some say starting the bike for 15 minutes is not enough time to get all the moisture out of the oil. This causes more harm than good. I like to put some oil down each cylinder with a cold engine then turn the engine over by hand to spread the oil. I also plug the exhaust but use a plastic plug or a wine cork. Why give the mice bedding material with paper towel. Nice wright up.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Every year we have threads about winterizing our bikes. We need the moderator to pin this so it all in one spot. Thanks

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

seal off the air filter intake hole to keep rodents out. if you plan on starting bike some aluminum window screen for a cover
    socks over muffler tips put 1 sock on add a piece of metal screen then cover with another sock.
    you will see if anything is trying to get in
    would also lube the cables

Jetfixer likes this.