1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cam Chain sprocket removal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jsmith800, Nov 8, 2021.

1. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

XJ650 I'm trying to remove the heads and cylinders. i'm at the step now that requires me to remove the cam so i'm unscrewing the cam sprocket bolts, having a hard time getting them to turn....seems like the bolts are halfway between 9mm and 10mm. i can only get an open end 10mm wrench on....any suggestions or comments on what to do. i don't want to strip out the bolt with an open end 10mm wrench. I did turn back slightly clockwise to loosen the bolts hidden by the cam chain tunnel first. anyhow, need help. cant seem to get a 6 side socket on.

2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

I'm going to hazard a guess that the bolts are held in with loc-tite, heat them with a torch to break the bond, 400 degrees F will do it. Others may have other suggestions.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hold the camshaft on the flats with an open ended spanner to stop it moving use a six point 10 mm socket to get the sprocket bolts slackened. Can you remove a cap near the bold heads so you can get a socket on the bolts?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  4. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

got it! Thanks guys. open wrench or spanner is NOT an option. i removed the cap near the bolt and used 6 point 10mm socket. Heads are off, cylinder walls are halfway off. they're stuck on the 10 bolts. 2 of the bolts came out with the head nuts.

FYI, very dirty and sandy down between cylinder and engine...trying to carefully clean so nothing falls down by the connecting rods and crank. think i'll try to pack rags or something so particles or chuncks of potential rings dont drop in.

2 of the intake bolts snapped off thats the whole point of me getting the heads off. now i may as well change the rings since this far. 33k miles on the bike, is it necessary to have the cylinder walls checked for roundness by machine shop?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  5. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

the book says to hold the engine upside down to remove the cylinders to prevent dirt and ring chunks for falling in........how the hell can i do that! the motor is heavy and i'm only one person...not going to happen!!

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I put my engine on it's side it helped a bit but you are better with rags in the crankcase openings to keep dirt out. 33k is not a lot for an xj engine. I would be surprised if you needed new rings. The cylinders should be in good condition at that low mileage if it has been looked after. A compression test would have given you an idea of the condition of the motor. Since you are going to the machine shop for the broken intake stub bolts you can get the cylinders checked if you want. I don't think it's necessary.

7. jsmith800

jsmith800 New Member

I did a compression test prior to my rebuild process. 105,105,125,100.

i'll have a gasket kit from Len but will i need new head bolts and nuts??? if the rings aren't damaged from my exposure, is it ok if i DO not replace them? Or at this point would it be wise to just change them out to potentially increase compression?

if my inquisition seems odd, this is the first time taking an engine apart..........ever