1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New key problems - 82' Xj650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by PlzHelp, Mar 1, 2022.

1. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Hey guys. I've been fixing up an 82 maxim for a little bit now (Broken bolt in head had me stuck for a while) and I finally got everything finished to where I can put her back together when I realized I had misplaced the key somehow.

Took the ignition switch off and ran it over to a Yamaha dealer and they made me a new set of keys based off the code on the bottom of the switch. The keys work perfectly in the switch, but when I went to open the tank they didn't work at all. Same result with the helmet lock. The previous key worked in both, so I am real confused why the new key will work in the ignition switch but not the other 2.

Any thoughts?

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

That is pretty weird. My only idea would be that maybe the key was cut just good enough to work in the ignition, but not quite good enough to work in the tank and helmet/seat lock. Just a thought. Also assuming that the locks are original and matching - which it sounds like they were.

I've had good luck getting keys made by "cyclekeysonline" from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/usr/cyclekeysonline

Basically, you send them the code, they will confirm they can cut it, then you buy. I've done it for two bikes in the past two years and never had a problem. Will probably need to do it for two more this summer.

Maybe - just maybe - somebody who specializes in the trade does a slightly better job than the dealer???

3. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Ended up getting it fixed.

Took the tank into the Yamaha dealer to see what their thoughts on it were. They told me that the ignition must be aftermarket, and that I would need a different key/to drill it out, despite me insisting that I owned a previous key that worked in both. They said they couldn't help. Not satisfied, I took the tank to a locksmith.

Locksmith asked me similar questions, picked the tank, and then said to leave the gas cap with him so he could take a look at it during the week and see what was up. Didn't even make it home before he called and said that 2 of the pins were just seized from gunk and corrosion, and that he had cleaned them up and the Yamaha key worked in both now. Only cost me $10, and he even gave me another spare key he cut while trying to see if the Yamaha guys just didn't cut it right.

Moral of the story is to pick the right experts for the job I guess. And to WD-4o your locks every once in a while.

Rooster53 likes this.
  4. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

10-4 on the WD-40 or something light. I had my igniton switch completely disassembled and for some reson decided to use silicon grease for lube. Way too heavy. The tumblers (disc thingys??) would drag on one side and jam. Lesson learned, tore it all back down and used a graphite lube.

5. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good news!

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Graphite powder is really what you want to use inside key locks; WD40 will capture dirt and gunk (it's "sticky") and will cause the same problems in the future......

7. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

The WD-40 is what I was told to use by the locksmith. Will try graphite powder in the future.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

lock [​IMG]spray