1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine identification question's...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jerrod Robinson1086, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Jerrod Robinson1086

Jerrod Robinson1086 Member

Alright so I have an 82 750 Maxim, it came with a Replacement Engine installed + the Original Engine.. Recently I've noticed some subtle difference's between the 2, and I'm starting to think my current engine is actually a later model YICS 700 from 85 or 86. There's a small Philips head screw/Bolt to the upper left of the Plug on the side of the Head that the 750 that originally came with the Bike doesn't have. I can't find this Bolt on any of the 750's so far, only the 700's. Are there any other notable difference's between the YICS 700 and the 750 that would be a give away for the Engine I'm currently Running?

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

The ID stamped in the casing will tell you definitively what engine you are looking at.

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The front of the cylinder block is also embossed with the displacement, right between 2/3 cylinders

5. Jerrod Robinson1086

Thanks for the info Guy's, It is a 750 Block.. This is the Bolt I'm talking about not sure why it's missing on the Original Motor's Head. As I said, the only Motor's I can find online that have it is the Later Model 700's. Just weird I guess.

Attached Files:

6. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

I seem to recall that the question has come up before - and the answer is known only to Yamaha, but most likely long forgotten even there. Some have it some don’t. If you can discern a pattern then you win.

7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

That screw/plug comes on all of the "later" 650/750 engines; earlier models did not have the screw, they had a lead (?) plug pressed into an unthreaded hole in the same position(s)....there are at least 4 per head. I believe it is a port to allow cleaning out of internal cavities after head casting/machining There are similar "lead plugs" on the other end of the head, and around each intake port (on YICS heads).

8. Jerrod Robinson1086

Ok, that makes sense. Appreciate the Help..