1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front brake light

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rebecca Proppe, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Rebecca Proppe

Rebecca Proppe New Member

Hi all! Another question!
    I have a 1982 xj750 maxim. Im not exactly sure what the previous owner all did to it but there was already some interesting electrical DIY stuff before I made some changes as well.
    I removed the Atari setup and ended up having to take it to an electrician friend to fix the wiring for me so everything worked properly. I only know the very basics of electrical!

However I eventually noticed that the brake light is ALWAYS lit, not just the running light. I was riding it for over a year before a cyclist let me know that it wasn't my imagination and yes in fact the light isn't working properly.

I can see that the rear brake wiring is connected properly but the front brake just has the old wires hanging free from the handlebar , the green/yellow and brown ones. I know they're supposed to connect to the same colour wires in the wiring harness but I think they were removed somehow when I had that electrical work done on the bike.
    My question is what would be the best spot to connect these wires to so that everything works properly? I guess one goes to power and one to ground but the wiring on this bike is so complicated I honestly don't know where to begin.

Any help is appreciated since this site is such a wealth of knowledge!

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The front brake light has a plunger-type switch on the end of those wires which "snaps" (or "plugs") into a round hole on the master cylinder body. The switch body has "teeth" on it that, when the switch body is plugged into the hole in the m/c, engage the hole and prevent the switch body from backing out. The brake hand lever, when activated, pushes down on the plunger which then allows contact ("connects") the green/yellow and brown wires together.

The other end of the switch wires are routed inside the headlight bucket, and have a 2- or 3-place connector shell on their end, which plugs into a mating shell inside the headlight bucket.

3. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

if the brake light is lit "brightly" , as in , as it is when the brake light should be on, ----- and the wires at the handlebar switch are dangling free, then i would check the bulb in the rear light is the correct bulb, if it should be a twin fillament bulb, and it has been replaced with a single fillament bulb with high wattage, as in an indicator bulb, then the single connector "shorts" across the 2 holder connectors, and lights the bulb brightly when on road lights.
    come across this several times, over the years, its a head scratcher , till you know to look out for it
    also check the rear brake light switch is adjusted properly, and not permanently on

chacal likes this.
  4. Rebecca Proppe

Rebecca Proppe New Member

That is exactly my situation! I'll give these things a look at ASAP thanks!