1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ650 Maxim - Starter button doesn't work after rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by PlzHelp, Apr 25, 2022.

1. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Hey guys. So I recently replaced the head gasket in my XJ650, and after putting her all back together suddenly the starter button has stopped turning the bike. I haven't messed with any of the electricals since before replacing the head gasket, and it turned over just fine before I took it apart.

I did test the starter by shorting the solenoid, and it turns over nice and strong. I just can't get it to start with the button. I originally assumed it was the starter relay, but I just got a new one in and it still doesn't do anything. No additional lights come on when I hit the button and the neutral light doesn't even dim like it used to.

Assuming I didn't get another bad starter relay in the mail (which is not out of the question), is there anything else I should be trying here?

2. noah scott

noah scott Member

Do you have a multimeter? or at least a test light?
    i'd make sure you're at least getting 12v at the starter relay when pressing the button... something might have been disconnected when pulling the motor out.

double check the goofy stuff too, like make sure you're really in neutral.... get it on the center stand and make sure the back tire spins easily... the light could have burned out (murphy's law) but if you aren't getting specific lights on the dash, i have a feeling one of the plugs didnt' get plugged back in.

make sure all the grounds are hooked back up around the bike.
    do the lights dim when you press the starter button?

go around and unplug/replug in all the connectors on the bike and wire > wire connectors.

3. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Alright.

I've checked the battery. Power output is solid.
    Checked to make sure I'm really in neutral. Green neutral light is on, back tire spins freely.
    Checked all plugs and grounds. All connected, no loose wires.
    Replaced the starter solenoid as well.
    Pulled out a power supply and tested the relay by itself. Contactor engages, and diode only lets power flow in one direction. Relay works.

Press the starter button, nothing happens. Lights do not dim. I do not even hear the contactor engage when I turn the engine cut-off switch. Real confused right now.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Did you replace or paint your handlebars? The starter switch gets ground from them...

IIRC, the starter switch grounds the terminal at the solenoid to engage it. If you jumper the large terminals at the solenoid, does the starter run? If you ground the small terminal, does the starter run?

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Do you have the original fuse block ? I would recommend upgrading to a blade type fuse block you could have a problem at the block.

6. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Well after a night in the shop she's all fixed and running. Took the headlight off and there were 2 black wires in there that weren't grounded. Attached them to the headlight shroud with alligator clips and now it starts.

Quick question: Both of the ground wires appear to be female. Where are they intended to be connected?

7. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Am I missing a male piece that either connects them together or grounds them to the bulb bracket?

8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There are two female bullet connectors shown on the wiring diagram as spares, they should not have to be connected

Are there any other electrical issues such a horn, turn signals, tail light, brake light, etc if you don't ground those two wires

The 82 version uses a ground wire for the starter button so the handlebars don't have to be grounded

Check the black wire that goes to the start button for continuity to ground, it should be shorted at all times

The main harness ground is usually under the tank attached to the ignition coil mounting hardware, make sure that is connected and clean

9. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

So I'm pretty confused now.

To answer your previous questions: No other electrical problems at all. Everything else worked perfectly without those wires grounded. Checked main harness ground and it is clean and connected.

Now to the voodoo: While checking the main ground to respond, I thought to myself "Why don't I disconnect those two and check the starter just one more time. Weirder stuff has happened on this bike" and suddenly it starts up without them grounded.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on. I confirmed multiple times that the bike wouldn't start without them grounded, and the only thing I have done since the previous post was change the oil. I have not mucked with the wiring at all, but now it suddenly works exactly how it is supposed to.

Bike's haunted I swear.

10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Sounds like typical old bike dirty or corroded connections. Especially if you were in the headlight and jostled something. Takes time but worth it to go through the harness on old bikes and unplug, clean, and cycle each connection to ensure good connections. Most old bikes I’ve worked on with “gremlins” were attributed to exactly that. Built way before Weatherpack and other watertight connections we have now.

Rooster53 likes this.
  11. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

When I got the bike years ago I actually pulled the whole harness out (PO had cut it to shreds. Some crazy BS about "rotting copper". Re-soldered it and the whole thing worked fine) and scrubbed all of the connections. Guess it might be time to do it again.

12. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Hit all connections with dielectric grease if you are in the cleaning mode again.