1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb cleaning : do I need an ultra sonic cleaner?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by noah scott, May 4, 2022.

1. noah scott

noah scott Member

Wondering as i'm looking at the carbs on my bike... i've contacted hogfiddles about him rebuilding mine, but i keep getting an itchy finger to give it a shot... my bike has been sitting for a few years, got it to pop and start for about a second on starting fluid.... so it's ready to roll
    I took them off of the bike, the pilot jet holes in the bowls are clear (sprayed in carb cleaner and am getting a jet right back out the top) - i'm passing the thunk test on the diaphragms, the jets aren't clogged at all. So what I'm wondering is, with me starting with a decent set of carbs, would it be needed to get an ultrasonic cleaner? or just a carb dip at this point?
    I also do not have an air compressor, which i think is going to be the death to my idea and may need to actually send them off to hogfiddles

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

An ultrasonic cleaner is nice to have for multiple purposes but is not necessarily necessary for cleaning carbs. An air compressor is also nice for many things, including inflating car and bike tires, but not necessarily necessary for cleaning carbs. You can buy a can or two of compressed air to blow out any passages in your carbs.
    Is this reply necessarily necessary?

3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Do what I did. Tell your wife you can clean her jewelry with a sonic cleaner. Then you can get the biggest one want.

Franz and Dan Gardner like this.
  4. to the max

to the max Member

This worked really good for me…

get whatever size glass jar you need to fit your part in… fill the jar with the highly toxic parts cleaner until it covers said part ( WEAR THE PPE!)… fill the ultrasonic cleaner with water as far as makes sense (you don’t want to make the glass jar buoyant)… let it heat up to 60ish, turn on the vibration for an hour

To me this is the only way to go when dealing with varnished up carb parts

Attached Files:

5. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

You can load small parts in a ziploc bag with solution and float bag in water in cleaner.
    Beware, some cleaning products will strip off plating in an ultrasonic cleaner. Your screws and small parts from the carbs should only be cleaned in water or ultrasonic cleaning solution. Ask me how I know.
    Also stripped the paint off my son's brake calipers.

chris123 and to the max like this.
  6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I bought a "cheap" ultrasonic cleaner, and it didn't do anything for me. Don't know about expensive ones.

But I cleaned many sets of carbs without one, just carb cleaner from a can (no dips). And replace ALL the rubber bits. It sounds like you've cleaned all the pilot passages (hardest part). If you need to soak the small pits, I'd recommend aluminum cupcake pans (disposable), so you can group and sort the bits. As always, wear goggles and gloves at all times.

7. noah scott

noah scott Member

Thanks guys! Helps a ton.... Still a ways off, but I think I might tackle this