1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jerrod Robinson1086, May 18, 2022.

1. Jerrod Robinson1086

Jerrod Robinson1086 Member

So I was tinkering around with my 82 750 Maxim's spare Motor and I noticed that the intake Cam has more Lift than the Exhaust. Besides that that appear to be identical. Has anyone ever tried running 2 Intake Cam's? I don't think the Valves would Clash, but I don't know...

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Trial fit => turnover by hand => check compression => start her up ( I might use a remote start switch and stand behind a sturdy wall mind you.)

Franz likes this.
  3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I don't know why you'd need a wall? If I were fitting it (assuming it does physically fit) I would fit a degree disc to check the full lift setting/timing, just in case its a mile out. Beware though, if it has more lift it will likely increase valve overlap, push the max power rpm higher, and lose you some bottom end. There's nothing for nothing in the tuning game, and on top of this its likely the carbs would need rejetting to get the best everywhere, so it wouldn't be unusual to see this mod losing power everywhere. Reset the carbs, maybe run a different timing curve, and it could work. Could..

k-moe likes this.
  4. Jerrod Robinson1086

From what I've found their both Identical.. Same Duration and Lobe Position, but the Intake has significantly more Lift. And I assumed I would need to Re-jet, luckily I have a Kit that goes up to #145 from when I installed my Pod's and Mac 4 into 1. And what I should probably do is take a Wrench and Cycle it a few times by Hand before I put any juice to it.

5. Jerrod Robinson1086

My Number 1 Exhaust Valve is starting to develop a slight tick, might give it a shot when I open it up for the Adjustment. If I do I'll come back with the Result's...

6. Jerrod Robinson1086

I honestly think it will be fine Mechanically, but I may be in over my Head when it comes to Tuning it. But, I love doing this kinda stuff. And nobody ever learned anything not trying...

chacal and a100man like this.
  7. Jerrod Robinson1086

Ok, so the Intake Side does have a bit more Space than Exhaust. It does Fit, and Spin's freely with around a 15 Thou Tolerance between the Lobe and the Bucket Sleeve. Now considering that this is a Hot side Cam in an Air cooled Engine, will that Cam Swell 15 Thousandth's at Operating Temperature.. Seems like a lot to me, but idk.

8. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

No, it won’t.

k-moe likes this.
  9. Jerrod Robinson1086

Maybe I could shave a bit of Material off the lip just to play it safe.. I can't see it effecting the Shim Bucket, or structural integrity of the Head.

10. Jerrod Robinson1086

I agree, probably should leave all the material where it's at too, no point in fixing something that ain't broke.

k-moe likes this.