1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help. x2 1983 yamaha xj750's into one. Not sure where best place for questions is.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by deathbyeadren, Jun 23, 2022.

1. deathbyeadren

deathbyeadren New Member

Ok ill try to keep this short because I am new to the site and not sure this is the right spot for this post. I bought a modified 1983 XJ750 about 18 months, needed parts, couldn't find parts but found another XJ750 for sale online and bought that as a parts bike. Currently I am trying to combine the 2 into 1 and have several questions ranging from over-boring cylinders for over sized piston rings to broken plastic in bottom of one of the oil pans shifting issues and some others, most are more on the technical side. I have looked through the forums and found some answers to some of the questions but not others and since I am trying to get the majority of the work done by the 4th of July I figured I would start a Conversation in the interest of efficiency. But I am not sure if this is the right place to do that. Also since I am only going to need 1 bike which is mostly already stripped down of everything I don't need I will have a lot of parts from both bikes I will need to get rid of after I get the main one running particularly since it will have pretty much all the extras removed and most the other stuff that is needed will be aftermarket or custom built. IE made my own wiring harness with just the basics. So where should i ask questions?

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Since you are in the States the best person to communicate with regarding parts is Len, aka Chacal. You can contact him on info@xj4ever.com

The broken plastic in the oil pan is most likely the alternator starter clutch chain guide. You need to split the crankcase to replace it and yes it causes gear shifting issues when bits of the guide get into the gears.

Pistons rings and rebore. First of all the parts you have might be servicable, so at some point you want to check the valve clearances and do a compression test. Stuck rings can be freed up with a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.

Best place to ask questions is here in the technical section.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Welcome aboard. Let this be the thread for your project. When you start to sell off parts you can list them in the for-sale section.

You will find that getting oversized pistons and rings will be a chore. They are out there, but tend to be expensive (even NOS) and difficult to find unless you have them made. It is pretty unlikely that an overbore will be needed, so start with compression tests, then look for burning oil when you get them running. Alternatively you can just measure the bores since you need to split the cases on at least one anyway.