1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Why is my chair tensioner not tensioning ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by swingmanu, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

So did you have the valves out to lap them or do you mean you put the buckets the shims sit in in the wrong places.

2. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

I replaced everything in its right place but I replaced the valves seals and i didn't specifically paid attention to the orientation of the valves springs when reinstalling the valves in place. I read later in manual they have an orientation... I suspect this is primarily for oscillation issues in the long run

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes better to check them if the manual states that.

4. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

If I reopen, can I reuse that head gasket? I already closed the head and tightened the bolts to the right torque

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

My understanding is that it can be used because the engine has not been started but l have not tried it so l cannot be sure.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Has anyone reused a head gasket when the head was torqued down but the engine was not started?

7. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

I believe it seals when crushed so I don't think it can be reused.

I'll leave and see what happens.

Franz likes this.
  8. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Ok so one of the camshaft bolt is stripped... Maybe precious owner but it doesn't hold torque and spins...
    I'm hopeless. Willing to let the bike go to anybody for any price at this point. It's in Helsinki
    IMG_20220701_104301.jpg

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

This is for a stripped cam cover thread and l am not an engineer but your camshaft bolt thread in the head can be repaired.

https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/valve-cover-bolt-hole-stripped.32070/

Here is the thread for the cam cover thread. Yours should be repairable with a hellicoil insert which a machine shop can do. Some of the people who have done this might chime in.

k-moe likes this.
  10. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Yes I understand the procedure... Unfortunately I don't know if the bike is worth the trouble. I've never done it and can't afford 300-400eu for the job to be done somewhere...
    That's areal bummer. Wonder if red loctite would be enough. The bolt grabs on threads but doesn't torque. It spins at the bottom.

Looks like I'm gonna have to pass this project to someone else. So much work put in thanks to all your help but this will get off budget for me...

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Red Loctite would not be any use. As you know it is for locking good threads, the Loctite won't secure the bolt and provide the clamping force between the head and cap and with the constant forces of the cam opening the valve it will just put the excess load on the other bolts securing the cam journal cap or possibly break the cap. Another possibility is tapping a new thread, if that could be done with the head in on. It is a bummer because you nearly had it fixed.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  12. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Thanks Franz, I thought about the loctite and even if there was thread, it's oily so won't work anyway properly. Tapping a new thread is the same as doing helicoil, might as well do that...I'm trying to sell it like it is... if it doesn't sell this month I'll pull it apart (the head again) and will also put the springs in the right position. I might as well do that anyway, as it's going anywhere. So why not :)
    You've been so good help, practically but also mentally. Thanks man !

Franz likes this.
  13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Tapping a new thread means using a thicker bolt. Using a helicoil allows the same bolt thickness to be used if you use the correct size and there is enough material to take the helicoil insert. Leave it and go back to it. Take a break that's what l do. I fitted a new shock absorber spring on my car and had it all complete. Then remembered l forgot to tighten the bolt on the damper :eek: we have all been there. Most times l get it right though :D.

swingmanu, Huntchuks and k-moe like this.
  14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Fitting a threaded insert is a DYI job. But you’ll need to practice drilling a straight hole in wood first.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes and put tape around the drill bit so you don't drill to deep.

swingmanu likes this.
  16. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Indeed, the thread is still there but not enough to get torqued spec.

I wonder if I could get the torque with a compression washer... Or a longer bolt?

But yes I can do the helicoil. Might as well do it. Might not even need to remove the head if I protest everywhere for shavings

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Get a tiny tube like the red one you get on a can of WD40 to check how deep the hole is the existing bolt goes into. Threads will probably damaged all the way down. Do the helicoil. Take your bolt to the place you are buying the helicoil kit so you get the right one. The hardest part is drilling square and checking the depth. If you have wood you can practice drilling a few holes as @k-moe suggested. Get the kit because it has everything you need to do the repair.

Longer bolt you can check the depth with the tube above and compare it with your bolt. Compression washer l would not use. Go the helicoil route and you will get the torque you need.

Yes protect it from shavings especially the camshaft tunnel.

k-moe likes this.
  18. swingmanu

swingmanu Member

Right, then helicoil kit it will be. m6 it seems. I have to dbl check. nothing available locally so ill order :)

k-moe likes this.
  19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes l am sure it is M6 you can fix it.

k-moe likes this.
  20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You can use the cap as a guide to drill out the damaged threads first to help you get it square. But use a cobalt drill. I would use a hand drill just my preference if drilling through the hole in the cap. You don't want that getting cracked.

1656692641775434108428469083729.jpg

Has anyone used the cap as a guide to keep the drill bit square?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022