1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aluminum Restoration

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jeff Stablet, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Jeff Stablet

Jeff Stablet New Member

What is the Best or Norm procedure for restoration of the aluminum trim ? Thought about annodizing or just clearcoat ??
    I used laquer thinner and removed all of the old, peeling and yellow clearcoat and aluminum looks great now, but, I really don't want to polish every week.

2. Jake750

Jake750 Member

I dont know if its the best but Dupli-color silver engine enamel or metallic silver acrylic look pretty nice. Seal it off with a coat of diamond 2k clear coat and it will be super shiny. A lot of people dont like rattle cans but I've had nothing but good results with them.

Andrew Nichols and Jeff Stablet like this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Polish and clearcoat.
    Honestly if you just poilish it it won't need polished but once or twice a year.

Jeff Stablet likes this.
  4. Jeff Stablet

Jeff Stablet New Member

Since I have the forks apart, I played around and sprayed one of them today with Rust Oleum Crystal Clear just to see.
    Although it is basically Krylon laquer, it looked pretty good...just don't think that it will last very long. The nice thing, is that I can wipe it off any time with laquer thinner and recoat. I had thought of annodizing or clear powdercoat...but...when it starts chipping or nicking....what a mess.