1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

how to remove the gearbox neutral switch xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by glennyboy, Jul 23, 2022.

1. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

Can not get a socket in there does the engine have to come off mounts to remove.... its not screwed into the oil pan... does the oil pan have to come off

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  2. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

looks like the exhaust has to come off with the oil pan to get a socket in there....

3. JCH

JCH Active Member

On my bike I did remove the exhaust but not the oil pan and if my memory is correct the wiring was a bit of a pain.

4. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

JCH the wire coming off the switch is white then it plugs into a push connector now its black and red next to the frame, then inside harness up to the top next to the tdi grounding that wire does nothing grounding the blue/light blue wire next to it, back to normal again? could it be a sludge build up in the switch, engine was not started for 21 years. I drained the oil added two quarts of gas... drained and poured it back in while playing around with the gear lever, left for half hour drained ... still not working with test light grounded other end touching the switch i had a low voltage test low glow... back to ignition turning on dash lit up and relay clicked... now its ok... what did i do?
    Looking closer at the switch with exhaust off its much better but can not get socket in there, frame is slightly in the way, looks like the front engine mounts have to come off and lift engine about two inches.. hope i dont have to do that

5. JCH

JCH Active Member

I really don't remember having a issue removing the switch it self but I also have a lot of tools too, I heard of some cleaning the switch but with all the work involved replacing that switch I just purchased a new one from Len at XJ
    Not sure about your other question Sorry...

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The pin on the plunger can wear on the neutral switch. That is what happened to mine. @chacal l think he sells a socket that is suitable for removing the neutral switch with the engine in the frame.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Which XJ650? The Seca does have to have the exhaust collector removed for access, while the Maxim does not.
    You can cut the side of a socket so it will fit, or buy an already machined one from @chacal

It sounds to me like your already getting it clean enough to work though.
    Stop using gasoline as a cleaning solvent. Buy a can of Seafoam and dose the oil according to the directions on the can. Then run the engine and if the bike is rideable, just ride it. That will safely get rid of the sludge buildup.
    Change the oil after about 100 miles though.

Jetfixer likes this.
  8. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

it seems to me, you may me confusing the switches, gearbox neutral switch on most xj's, the wire is light blue,
    oil LEVEL switch has the "black red "wire
    which one are you trying to remove?

9. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

all sorted ...i was chasing the wrong wire lol :rolleyes::(.... yes its light blue... i never gave the clutch switch a thought if that was working i could have started it.... good old WD40 got it working

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    k-moe likes this.
  10. stan burgess

stan burgess New Member

Changing my switch today and I did jack the motor up out of the motor mounts to get a socket in. Should have read this first and cut a side off a socket, oh well easier to get at the wire this way.