1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No start after oil change

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chrismaximx750, Aug 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Chrismaximx750

    Chrismaximx750 New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Ontario
    Took my bike for a spin did an oil change then let it sit for about 30 minutes when I came back all I could get was the rear light and turn signals to work no head light or start button
    The bike will start if I jump the starter solenoid anyone know what might be wrong?
     
  2. Franz

    Franz Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,425
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Scotland UK.
    It could be a faulty solenoid coil because it's starting the engine when contacts are bridged.
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  3. Oblivion

    Oblivion Active Member

    Messages:
    866
    Likes Received:
    176
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Northeast Illinois
    Or dirty start button contacts?
     
  4. Franz

    Franz Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,425
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Scotland UK.
    Yes could be. The switch grounds to the handlebars make sure you have good contact there.

    Can you check if you are getting 12 volts on the harness side of the plug which connects to the solenoid the two wire connector block when you press the starter button?
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  5. Chrismaximx750

    Chrismaximx750 New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Ontario
    So I cleaned the starter button contacts and now it will start but the headlight won’t turn on smh
    But if I bring power from the battery and touch the second contact it will could this be the ignition that’s faulty?
     
  6. Oblivion

    Oblivion Active Member

    Messages:
    866
    Likes Received:
    176
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Northeast Illinois
    Before doing anything drastic to the ignition switch, have you verified the headlight bulb is good? Tried the hi-beam?
     
    k-moe likes this.
  7. Chrismaximx750

    Chrismaximx750 New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Ontario
    Ya I took it out and it’s in good condition so I think it has to be a bad contact I’m going to take apart the high low beam switch and see if it has bad contacts aswell
     
  8. Chrismaximx750

    Chrismaximx750 New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Ontario
    Any of you guys know where I can find the wiring schematics for this bike? I’m Still new to the site
     
  9. Franz

    Franz Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,425
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Scotland UK.
    Don't know if anyone has one that is in colour. There should be a coloured one in the Haynes manual for your bike.

    https://www.xjcd.org/node/83
     
  10. Chrismaximx750

    Chrismaximx750 New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Ontario
    Perfect thank you
     
  11. Franz

    Franz Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,425
    Likes Received:
    1,249
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Scotland UK.
  12. Chrismaximx750

    Chrismaximx750 New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Ontario

Share This Page