1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to me, a 1982 Yamaha, XJ1100, Maxim!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Richard F. Oslund, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Richard F. Oslund

Richard F. Oslund New Member

XJ Family.

I have bought a 1982 Yamaha XJ1100-Maxim, that came with a complete Vetter package. I have some questions to post. What other 1100's are compatible for parts? I'm trying to locate a Carb Rebuild Kit, a Rear Master Cylinder rebuild Kit.

I'm currently going through all of the wiring and connectors: cleaning them all and applying die-electric grease. I found a couple of wires that have been chewed on by mice, and I will be able to repair them. What surprised me was the Accel Ignition (one wire chewed through) System installed and the 4 into 1 Exhaust.

I've ran the Carbs through my Ultrasonic Cleaner, for multiple Cycles and they are ready for rebuilding. The front Disc Brake should be closely similar to my other Vintage Motorcycles. I hope this Family is alright with theses questions. Any suggestions for other beneficial information, is highly welcomed! This Firefighter is grateful!

I'm trying to learn to work with this XJ Format. Patience is highly appreciated!

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and congrads on a nice bike.

The upper right hand corner of each page has the sponsor for this great sight. He can help you with any and all parts needs. Great guy and you will get the right part the first time for what you need.

As for the sonic cleaner, I am glad that you ran them through there but take a look at the jets in the bottom of the float bowls. Those little things can really get plugged and they will need to be open for your bike to run the way it should. I too have tried just to sonic clean them and it has never worked. Have to get in there with a very thin wire, some compressed air and carb cleaner. You may have been lucky and they could be very clean.

Replacing all the brake fluid and flushing them lines. That and the brake lines I guess would be stock, so they are very old and will start to bulge when pressure is put on them. That will be fine but it will take away performance from the brake system. Some place on the brake line will be a date of manufacturing, that will tell you. But they should work okay to get the bike back on the road.

Start a project thread over on the other page and keep us posted how your progress is coming along.

Again, welcome to the site and good luck with the 1100.