1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2006 KLR 650

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Scott I

Scott I Member

Fun project. I had a 97 I believe and kept it for 2 summers. Wasn't my thing. To each their own. I do like projects though. Yea, cold cold last few weeks.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

It has been a while so need to update. I finally got the bonded paper work back, so the bike is now legally mine. Breaking in the new top end and have about 150 miles on the it so far. Did the oil change at 50 miles and it was nasty. This bike had a low oil cam issue when I first stater to work on it.

The oil that came out of the bike was very dark but no bits in it. I have done the banjo bold drilling upgrade so the oil is flowing better to the top of the engine. A few more 100 miles and the bike will be ready to beat on like normal.

As far a s little run around bike I sure like it. Easy to take out and have some on road or trails. In my area of WI as long as you have a plated motorcycle you can ride the state and country trails.

[​IMG]klr 650 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Last time I looked (5-10 years ago or so), in Barron/Polk Co's, where my folks are, most of the trails were off-limit to bikes, I thought that kind of sucked. Wonder if it's different by you, has been changed, or I misunderstood. It's a pipe-dream to find the time w/ kids and such, but I'd love to do some dual-sport trail riding (WR250R here) up that way.

Cool project bike there.

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Did you paint the body panels red to match the milk crate or find a red milk crate to match the body panels? LOL
    Good job getting it going again.

Timbox likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Painted first and then had the red milk crate...I know it is back woods, but I live in a town of a whopping 360 people.....lol

Just enough room for tools and parts and maybe a jacket if needed. This is just the play bike and I have others for bike night ect. Sure was a fun project and I really like the bike. I am not sure it I will get a OEM wind shield for it or just leave it this way. New front tire will be here soon and the I will not have to worry about the falling effect into turns. The front tire is bald in the middle, yes the PO must have used the bike on roads only and just rode it hard and fast. Wrong bike for that type of riding...imho