1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket carb

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Proar, Jul 5, 2016.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

info@xj4ever.com

2. amiel1157

amiel1157 Member

hi, what did you use for the 4 throttle cables? how's your top end power.. im currently experimenting on one of my 650. tnxs!

3. 50gary

50gary Active Member

The 4/1 cable pull is a simple aluminum cylinder about 3/4" diameter x 4" length (19m x 100m) commercially available. I'll try to get a picture posted later today.
    Cheers, 50gary

Attached Files:

amiel1157, sybe, Franz and 1 other person like this.
  4. jsngrimm

jsngrimm Member

Curious where you got the throttle cable from, is it one of the DIY kits or premade? I am doing exactly the same thing on an XJ550 Maxim with 28mm carbs and I found a Motion Pro 1969 Honda CB750 4-1 throttle cable that I use which is basically identical to the cable that you have. I'm also trying to connect my carbs to the stock airbox and I was able to make boots from a rubber pipe coupler. However it already ran too rich and that made it even worse so smaller jets are on the way IMG_20220806_185551761.jpg IMG_20220806_185615424.jpg IMG_20220805_233413744.jpg

First82maxim likes this.
  5. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell New Member

Thanks for the info. Going to order some larger idle jets soon.

6. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Motion Pro sound about right, I got my setup from a drag race guy, very helpful fellow. I'm now working on my gas miser Pit bike 140cc Lifan
    clone motor 12.5 bhp 4 speed I'll use one of the 28mm PWK clone carburetors should be close to your 550 four cylinder. 140cc vs 137.5cc.
    I spoke with a Honda Grom rider (125cc) and he says he gets 120+ MPH on Rec gas.
    I'd like to know your jetting for the 550 when you get it right?
    Cheers, 50gary

7. jsngrimm

jsngrimm Member

I'll definitely post some updates once I get jetting etc figured out. 28mm carb sounds about right for a 140cc, I have a similar 28mm on a 180cc 4 stroke scooter and it works pretty well

First82maxim likes this.
  8. James Dean Bradley

James Dean Bradley New Member

Where did you get $950 from? I have an '83 Maxim 650 and they're quoting me $675.

9. James Dean Bradley

James Dean Bradley New Member

Is there a specific rebuild kit you like to buy? I can't seem to find a kit that includes everything to do the entire set and the interconnecting pieces.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

http://www.xj4ever.com/

Email the man himself and you will be able to get all the parts you need. The right parts for the right carbs and shipped fast.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Xj4ever has everything you will need the aftermarket butterfly seals are around 39$ the hast tome I ordered them , he has the gaskets and needle and seats ( I personally bought the solid brass needles with ethonol fuel these are better than the vitron needles if bike sits for a while but they are not cheap ) the other item I bought from Len with cool factor is Allen head fuel bowl drain screws.

12. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I find the allen head bowl drain screws from Len are more than a cool factor. They make draining it much easier. Especially if over the years you didn't know the stock drain screws weren't Philips, but JIS, and they were stripped from using a Philips... As me how I know....

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I order those as standard fare for Hitachi rebuild kits. I only install the Deluxe complete rebuild kits, with metal tip needles and the hex drive drain screws.....mikuni rebuild kits only come with rubber tip needles though.....

Jetfixer likes this.