1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650H carburettor choke setup

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Stromboy, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Stromboy

Stromboy New Member

I have a 1981 XJ650H with the early engine Not YICS. The Carbies are quite different to a 1983 YICS set that I have. The choke setup is quite different. The shaft pulls to the side rather than rotates. I got the bikes with all of the airbox missing so I am wondering if they are not the correct ones .
    Any help and suggestions appreciated. As I would like to get the choke setup and working.
    20221028_172708.jpg 20221028_172720.jpg 20221028_172704.jpg 20221028_172708.jpg 20221028_172720.jpg 20221028_172704.jpg

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Interesting.... As far as I know, the only XJ650 to come with Mikuni carbs is the XJ650 Turbo. I've never had a Turbo so I'm not familiar with them enough to say if they are definitely from a Turbo or not. If I was a betting man, I would bet that this rack is from a Turbo.

There are members who will know for sure -- @hogfiddles ?? @chacal ??

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That’s not like any turbo rack I have or have seen, doesn't look like ANY xj rack I've ever seen......but honestly it doesn’t even look like it’s even for a yamaha.....

4. hogfiddles

80-83 xj650 non turbo carbs are all the same thing with SLIGHT variation....these are definitely not.

5. Stromboy

Stromboy New Member

Thanks for that it may explain why it will not run. It does fire with "Start you Bastard" The next question is can I just bolt on the YCIS set or do I have to change heaps of stuff?

I just checked them and there is no model number anywhere on them only what is on the tops. They are numbered 1,2,3,4

6. hogfiddles

The only differences between ‘81 xj650 maxim an ‘82 xj650maxim racks would be:

-possible slight jet size differences depending on where the racks are from

-some had an air jet cover plate under the diaphragm, others don’t—- it doesn’t really make a difference

-some early ‘80 racks used one boss and one screw per carb on the lower rail.

otherwise, the biggest difference between YICS and non-YICS that is of consequence is the carb rack-to-intake boots. Half of the YICS set is different than the non-YICS set.

7. Stromboy

Stromboy New Member

Thanks guys. Further research looks like they may be off a Suzuki GS850. Amazed that they even fitted.
    Found a post on forums sohc4 net topic=90589.0